DrivePool Service making constant disk access

pezku

Question

Hi,

I'm having a problem with Drivepool that it is for some reason accessing all drives in the system constantly every 5 seconds. This happens to all drives whether they are part of a pool or not.

Here is Scanner showing the problem:

post-972-0-00918200-1451220089_thumb.png

Performance column shows about 4KB/s disk activity every fifth second for every drive. (Only D:, G:, J: are part of a pool at the moment).

Windows task manager shows this also:

post-972-0-70246000-1451220089_thumb.png

Note regular spikes in disk transfer rate.

And a view from Process Explorer clearly showing Drivepool creating the constant IO:

post-972-0-61390900-1451220086_thumb.png

Problem is that this prevents any disk from spinning down in the system. Only ways I have found so far to stop drivepool from "harassing" the drives is to make disk offline, or if there is no formatted partition on a disk. Removing mount point or drive letter from a NTFS drive doesn't stop the activity.

And yes, stopping DrivePoolService from task manager stops the disk access and allows drives to spin down. I've also tried to stop every other non-windows process and service to see if it could be something else accessing the pool, but no change to the behavior.

Running latest beta 2.2.0.659 on Win10 x64.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks for reply!

Unfortunately that didn't seem to be the cause, because the same behavior continues after changing the setting and starting DP service  :(

Edit:

Okay, re-read the instructions on wiki and renamed the config file properly... And it seem to have worked! No more constant disk access! Wohoo!  :P

Thank you again!

Yeah, you nave to remove the "default" from the name. :) 

The "default" file gets overwritten every time you update. But the "actual" config file doesn't get touched. This is to ensure that we don't break you configuration (or reset the settings on you). 

And yeah, in the later builds, we enabled this option by default. And unfortunately, it looks like part of the query method for detecting the drives triggers activity and wakes the drives. 

We do plan on looking into resolving this issue, so that you don't need to enable the setting and that it doesn't wake the disks... but we have a lot on our plate right now (and this may be a complicated issue to fix "properly"). 

Thanks for pumping this thread, I've been using DrivePool since yesterday and my discs are being constantly accessed (my HDD enclosure has LEDs which show individual disc activity -> constant blinking with DrivePool).

​

What is causing this issue?  Will try the config file change.

​Explanation:

​http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1784-drivepool-beta-constant-disk-activity/&do=findComment&comment=13602

​

​I'll try the fix tomorrow, hopefully it works.

Made the change...rebooted system after rebooting the service didnt do anything

Still hitting drive over and over and over again

Is the Pool set to A:\ or B:\? 

If it is, then that would be the cause.  Windows is hard coded to frequently "ping" these drive letters.

Otherwise, check "resmon" to see what is *actually* being accessed.

And you may want to do this, then: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Is the Pool set to A:\ or B:\? 

If it is, then that would be the cause.  Windows is hard coded to frequently "ping" these drive letters.

Otherwise, check "resmon" to see what is *actually* being accessed.

And you may want to do this, then: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Thanks for the quick response :)  zipped up the logs for you.  The drive is letter g:/  

Thanks.

Could you let me know what your balancing settings are?  (Pool Options -> Balancing)

And I've flagged the logs for Alex (the developer), so he can take a look at them. 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27545

Also, what version of StableBit DrivePool are you using specifically?  (listed in the UI)?

And what Operating System are you using?

Thanks.

Could you let me know what your balancing settings are?  (Pool Options -> Balancing)

And I've flagged the logs for Alex (the developer), so he can take a look at them. 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27545

Also, what version of StableBit DrivePool are you using specifically?  (listed in the UI)?

And what Operating System are you using?

Okay i'm using balancing like this

X5T64W3.png

Until today when i noticed the problem i had it on immediate rebalance

MdrLO2a.png

I'm on windows 10 64bit...newest stable fully updated (creators update)

The version is the newest beta 2.2.0.651

I also have stablebit scanner and cloud drive installed and running

cloud drive is not being used in drivepool

Do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings

Set the "BitLocker_PoolPartUnlockDetect" setting to "False" and restart the service. 

I can confirm this works, I'm running v 2.2.0.765.

Before:

DrivePoolSpindown1.png

After making the changes:

DrivePoolSpindown2.png

Made the change...rebooted system after rebooting the service didnt do anything

Still hitting drive over and over and over again

KlUmsoA.png

Just to make sure, you've done more than one change?

​1. Set the "BitLocker_PoolPartUnlockDetect" setting to "False"

​2. Rename DrivePool.Service.exe.default.config to DrivePool.Service.exe.config

​3. Restart DrivePool Service or Reboot

I can confirm this works, I'm running v 2.2.0.765.

Before:

DrivePoolSpindown1.png

After making the changes:

DrivePoolSpindown2.png

Just to make sure, you've done more than one change?

​1. Set the "BitLocker_PoolPartUnlockDetect" setting to "False"

​2. Rename DrivePool.Service.exe.default.config to DrivePool.Service.exe.config

​3. Restart DrivePool Service or Reboot

Definitely doing that...the strange thing is when i restart the service...it never rebuilds the drivepool.service.exe.default.config from the config file...that file never returns...even after a reboot

Perhaps an uninstall and reinstall could fix it?  

Okay installed new update

Checked the file and for the .default. file it didn't pull from what i had put...it was set to true

changed the file...renamed back to non default...rebooted service

Didn't even rewrite .default. - Still lots of 8.2 KB/s reads 

KUACfFR.png

I'm having other issues with other programs...might be write time to reinstall windows

Okay so this is going to sound weird, but its definitely the culprit...uninstalled scanner...no change

Killed clouddrive's service...immediate stop to the accessing...cloud drive is storing no files on these harddrives so i'm at a loss...its only using my main ssd not any of the the 28tb in my storage pool (all spinning drives)

Would love anyone's ideas on this

The drives that were being kept alive were all 8 drives in my drivepool pool.  In exactly the same way they were being read from for a half second every 3 seconds at 8.3 KB/s (it was always exactly the same in task manager).  I realized looking at task manager that my cloud drive build with your stablebit clouddrive had exactly the same behavior in task manager.  When i killed the service that drive dissapeared (of course) and all of the other 8 drives stopped their regular reads and started acting normal.  I don't understand why cloud drive would be interacting with these drives at all...the cache for cloud drive is on my main ssd which is not one of the drives in question and the cloud drive is not a member of my drivepool.

Detaching the drives did not help..when they were reattached they started the behavior again.  I have not yet rebooted my computer since disabling cloud drive

Okay unmounted my cloud drive after rebooting...doesn't stop the disk usage

I then uninstalled clouddrive...after the service stopped and was removed the usage stopped

Reinstalled clouddrive - immediately before any drive was mounted the usage started up again

Any suggestion?  Anyway to do a clean install so all settings are gone?

EDIT:  This issue on drivepool also affect clouddrive?  I mean its a little strange how my issue is exactly the same...even the same 8.2/8.3 kb/s read on the drive at the same interval

If this helps at all...definitely confirmed that the drives were running constantly and task manager was giving an accurate reading...I had two drives that had gotten to 114 on scanner because of the issue...after a day of being fixed (clouddrive is disabled for now) my hottest drive is 100.4 f