Non dedicated Feeder Disk

tomba

Question

As the Boot drive of my WHS2011 server is slowly dying, I want to replace it by an SSD to gain some speed. Is it possible to use the remaining part of the SSD (all the space excluding the C:) as a feeder disk? (e.g. just the D: partition)

2 answers to this question

Yes, you can do this. Be mindful of the quality of the SSD you plan to use - most(?) have greatly improved, but the lifespan of an SSD is still ultimately proportional to the number of write/erase cycles, and feeder disk activity is basically a daily series of write/erase events.

And since the SSD will also have your OS on it, if your SSD's manufacturer has software that allows you to monitor the projected remaining life of the disk (e.g. Intel's Toolbox and Samsung's Magician software), I'd strongly recommend using it.

Yes, you can do this. Be mindful of the quality of the SSD you plan to use - most(?) have greatly improved, but the lifespan of an SSD is still ultimately proportional to the number of write/erase cycles, and feeder disk activity is basically a daily series of write/erase events.

And since the SSD will also have your OS on it, if your SSD's manufacturer has software that allows you to monitor the projected remaining life of the disk (e.g. Intel's Toolbox and Samsung's Magician software), I'd strongly recommend using it.

Thanks for your response, that's very good news :) I have a Crucial laying around so no toolbox.