Windows Server Backup to CloudDrive...Fails?

modplan

Question

Trying to do a bare metal backup of just my C drive (120GB SSD) using windows server backup. I already have this scheduled to run daily to a USB drive that is attached, but would like something off site.

I go to "Backup Once" in WSB, select bare metal, pick my 10TB Cloud Drive as the destination (that has about 800GB of other data) and click start. It runs for about 30 seconds before giving me the error (from server manager):

The backup operation that started at '‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎14T22:48:31.145840100Z' has failed with following error code '2155348010' (One of the backup files could not be created.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

This is slightly different than the error WSB actually shows, but is mostly the same and WSB wont let me copy the error message.

Has anyone gotten this to work? It happens every time I try. 

.431 beta

9 answers to this question

The internet says that this is because the disk uses 4k sectors and does not properly emulate 512b sectors. I tried creating a 512b cloud drive just for backups but I couldn't even get that formatted, CloudDrive complained it could not write to my cache drive while I was trying to do the format.

Any ideas?

What OS are you using specifically?

And as for the cache, check what drive it's being created on, and make sure there is actually room.

Also, keep in mind, you won't be able to bare metal restore with the CloudDrive (without some serious work arounds).

Win 2k8 R2

There is over 2.5TB of free space on the cache drive. 

Won't be able to do a bare metal backup or a bare metal restore? What prevents me from installing CloudDrive to another machine, cloning a backup to a new HDD and using that to do a bare metal restore assuming I had a catastrophic failure? Regardless the restore point is moot when backup does not even work.

Yeah, this is definitely related to sector size.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5d9e2f23-ee70-4d41-8bfc-c9c4068ee4e2/backup-fails-with-error-code-2155348010?forum=windowsbackup

(note the reply from the MSFT Employee)

You'd want to recreate the drive with the smaller sector size.

However, what provider are you using here?

As for the troubles, you may be able to do that, but it may not be bootable.  But that may work.  

Yeah, this is definitely related to sector size.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5d9e2f23-ee70-4d41-8bfc-c9c4068ee4e2/backup-fails-with-error-code-2155348010?forum=windowsbackup

(note the reply from the MSFT Employee)

You'd want to recreate the drive with the smaller sector size.

However, what provider are you using here?

As for the troubles, you may be able to do that, but it may not be bootable.  But that may work.  

Google Drive. Creating a 512b Cloud Drive fails in formatting saying it cannot write to my cache drive (where there is 2.5TB free) as noted above.

Edit: It is worth noting that the USB drive I normally back up to also has 4K sectors (as most new drives do) however its firmware successfully emulates 512b support, so backups succeed. 

You're using 1.0.0.431 of StableBit CloudDrive, correct?

Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce the drive creation issue here, so it may be something about your system. 

Have you retried after a reboot?  And do you have any antivirus, backup or disk tools on the system? And could you do this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

And worst case, enable logging and try to recreate the drive:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Log_Collection

Edit: It is worth noting that the USB drive I normally back up to also has 4K sectors (as most new drives do) however its firmware successfully emulates 512b support, so backups succeed. 

The issue specifically is that the drive emulates the sector size and "lies" to the OS.  THis is done for compatibility, as not everything supports the 4k sector size yet (obviously).

However, the StableBit CloudDrive doesn't emulate the sector size and reports the specific size. 

Just in case, I've flagged the issue for Alex, to see if we can add the option to emulate the sector size for older systems (for ease).

You're using 1.0.0.431 of StableBit CloudDrive, correct?

Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce the drive creation issue here, so it may be something about your system. 

Have you retried after a reboot?  And do you have any antivirus, backup or disk tools on the system? And could you do this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

And worst case, enable logging and try to recreate the drive:

The issue specifically is that the drive emulates the sector size and "lies" to the OS.  THis is done for compatibility, as not everything supports the 4k sector size yet (obviously).

However, the StableBit CloudDrive doesn't emulate the sector size and reports the specific size. 

Just in case, I've flagged the issue for Alex, to see if we can add the option to emulate the sector size for older systems (for ease).

Thanks for the helpp. Appears that the problem is that the sector size is 1K on the logical drive I am trying to use as cache (hardware raid array) and that is preventing CloudDrive from writing the 512b sectors when I try to create a cloud drive with that sector size. I think I'm going to shelve this until we can figure out if Alex can emulate 512b sectors.

I believe that even win2k12 forces 512b for backup, so this issue will affect anyone trying to use windows server backup to a cloud drive that does not want to (or cannot, like me) create a drive with 512b sectors.

Edit: Yes using .431

Thanks for the helpp. Appears that the problem is that the sector size is 1K on the logical drive I am trying to use as cache (hardware raid array) and that is preventing CloudDrive from writing the 512b sectors when I try to create a cloud drive with that sector size. I think I'm going to shelve this until we can figure out if Alex can emulate 512b sectors.

I believe that even win2k12 forces 512b for backup, so this issue will affect anyone trying to use windows server backup to a cloud drive that does not want to (or cannot, like me) create a drive with 512b sectors.

Edit: Yes using .431

In theory, it shouldn't matter what the underlying disk's sector size is (512b vs 4k, and I'm assuming you meant 4k, and not 1k :) ). 

As for Server 2012+, it formats the drives as GPT, so it shouldn't matter at all (GPT supports 4k sectors natively, IIRC).

However, could you grab the logs, just in case?