Integration issues with Drivepool - non graceful terminations when shutdown/startups

borez

Question

Hi there,

I'm a Drivepool user, and am testing Clouddrive as a duplicating backup option to the Cloud.

The integration works perfectly with Drivepool, but I've got issues when rebooting/restarting the server:

1) Sometimes the shutdown will take a long time before doing so (as if something's still running)

2) Whenever I boot the server up, Drivepool will warn about the missing cloud drive (for a short while), before certifying that all drives are back online. Got to know this because of the email notifications.

As a result, I often get duplication/inconsistencies in my existing Drivepool, and have to rescan everytime I restart. This issue goes away when I remove the Clouddrive from the pool.

Have installed both latest betas but to no avail.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

The first, is because StableBit CloudDrive is still active.  Not necessarily uploading, but there is some work that has to be done to ensure the disk integrity. Specifically, it's reading and writing NTFS metadata.  If you power cycle when this is happening, we do recommend that you manually run a chkdsk pass, just to make sure.

Ensure that you do have metadata pinning enabled, as this should help cut down on the time required to reboot. 

As for StableBit DrivePool, this is a timing issue. The simple way to fix this is to make StableBit DrivePool wait until the StableBit CloudDrive service is started. To do so, run the following command on the system:

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DrivePoolService" /v "DependOnService" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "vds\0CloudDriveService"

This will add the dependency and should help prevent this from occurring. 

Alternatively, you could change the startup type for the StableBit DrivePool Service to "Automatic (Delayed)" to fix this, as well. To do so:

REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DrivePoolService" /v "DelayedAutostart" /t REG_DWORD /d "1"

Interestingly, I now get error messages when I shutdown the system. Apparently, now Clouddrive seems to be terminated earlier than Drivepool, and I'm getting the dropout emails upon shutdown.

BTW, is there any way to relink the drive back on a freshly formatted system? I plan to reformat my server in a couple of weeks' time.

That's .... odd.

In theory, the DrivePool service should be shut down *before* the CloudDrive service. 

However, reinstalling may be a good idea, as it really shouldn't be having the issue here (eg, this may be a system specific issue that is affecting the startup timing).

As for re-linking, it depends on which software you mean.  But the simple answer to is "Yes, for both".

When reinstalling, StableBit DrivePool will see the pooled disks and rebuild the Pool automatically.

As for StableBit CloudDrive, you'll see the existing drives in the list, once you've logged in and authorized the account.  You may see the drives highlighted in red, if you didn't detach them first. But that should be fine.