Local Cache Size

Brad

Question

I created a disk that is 200GB on AZN Cloud with a 5GB local cache on an SSD that has about 180GB of free space. I robocopied about 20GB to the disk and it all went very fast. The local disk is now using about 19GB of space. Why does the local disk not hold from accepting new data once the cache space is full? I get that it has to upload to Amazon in the background, but why is it accepting more than in should hold?

2 answers to this question

They have explained this before. It can grow bigger when you are putting data in but will only cache that much when pulling back down.

What do you want to happen, the robocopy to freeze or hang? that seems like a way way way worse situation then knowingly overfilling the local cache and it working seamlessly in the background. :)

The first bit of this explains it:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1610-how-the-stablebit-clouddrive-cache-works/

It's not a complete explanation of how the cache works (sorry), but is is definitely a start. It does cover the basics of what you're asking, as well as reliability/stability information about the cache. 

But basically, upload and downloads are handled a bit differently. And can fill the entire drive, giving the "right" circumstances. The benefit to this, is that that the CloudDrive's will continue to work even if you lose internet access. So long as you have enough space on the cache drive.