Cloud Drive Backup

happydish

Question

I have a High capacity CloudDrive drive set up, What I would like to do is use it as a complete backup of my local Drivepool pool, what would be the best way to go about this? My current pool is 3 HDD's and 10TB (not full yet).  I would like to use the clouddrive as a complete 1 to 1 backup of my pool.

Thanks for your help

-e

6 answers to this question

The simplest way is to use something like Free File Sync, Allway Sync or the like. Let them handle this.

Otherwise, there isn't a "good" way to do this with StableBit DrivePool yet.  We do plan on adding a duplication grouping option to facilitate this, but that's for a future release of StableBit DrivePool. 

You could use the Drive Usage Limiter balancer to uncheck the "duplicated" data option for all the disks but the CloudDrive and then let it re-balance.  The issue here, is that this will always cause the pool condition to be "unhealthy", as it won't have enough valid disks for duplication and will fall back on invalid disks.

Thanks for your response, How would CloudDrive handle being 'overloaded', Would I be able to upload all 4tb at once? Or would it start having problems when the cache fills up and It can't upload fast enough?  I have the Cache set to 100gb on my C: drive, Would I be able to set a very large cache (4tb) and move it to my drivepool to help with the initial upload?

I don't think you realized you asked a very loaded question, here. :)

Thanks for your response, How would CloudDrive handle being 'overloaded', Would I be able to upload all 4tb at once? Or would it start having problems when the cache fills up and It can't upload fast enough?  I have the Cache set to 100gb on my C: drive, Would I be able to set a very large cache (4tb) and move it to my drivepool to help with the initial upload?

Depends on what you mean by "overloaded".  But I'm pretty sure you mean if the cache is filled. 

The cache in StableBit CloudDrive is not a hard limit for the size (we do plan on adding a hard limit in the future, I believe, but there isn't one right now).  And "to upload" data is stored in the cache, and will fill up the cache drive. When you get to less than 10GBs free on the cache drive, it does start aggressively throttling the disk, and will eventually error out. This is to prevent the cache drive from filling up.

Additionally, the limiting factor to how fast you can add data is depending on the cloud provider (and more importantly) on the cache drive. If data can only be written so fast on the cache drive, that will limit how fast you can add data to the CloudDrive (conversely, using an SSD for the cache would make the writes VERY VERY fast, until you run out of space). 

Also, we do try to differentiate between the upload and download (though if we have "free space" for the upload, we'll keep cached until we need it for something else).  The entire caching feature is very complicated, and adaptive. It will try to keep frequently accessed files in the local cache to speed up access time.  But the program will dump it eventually, if we need the space.

Additionally, the upload is asynchronous. meaning that even as you're adding data to the pool, the software is constantly uploading data to the Cloud provider and clearing out the cache.  Depending on how much data is adding, how quickly it's added, and your upload speed (as well as the download speed, if upload verification is enabled, such as on the Amazon Cloud Drive provider), these factors will influence how quickly the upload cache gets filled. 

Thanks for your response, and I apologize for the loaded question.  I noticed that exact behavior when uploading, It would almost fill my C: drive, and then the copy would be slowed to almost nothing. So that's working just as It should!  I've been copying about 150gb at a time, and waiting a few days for it to upload, which is a little tedious, but that's mostly due to my slow upload speed.  Thanks for your help

-e