Finally taking the WHS 2011 plunge

ifixf15

Question

I am finally upgrading from WHS v.1 to WHS 2011.  I am currently running 5 3TB drives and 5 2TB drives which have been at about 50% full with most folders duplicated.  I will be using the same basic hardware since I built it pretty robust about 18 months ago.  I currently have v.1 installed on a 80GB SSD and I have secured a second 80GB SSD and successfully loaded WHS 2011 to it, so by changing the SSD's I have been able to swap software while I get accustomed to the new (to me at least) WHS.  I have already cleared off two of my 2TB drives to serve as my initial pool and I plan to first create the pool with these two drives installed and all of the others backed out of the enclosures.  I then plan on installing one drive at a time, and moving the files over to the pool.  At the completion of each move operation, I plan to add that drive to the pool.  Lather, rinse, repeat until everything is moved over.  Is this a sound approach, or is there a better way doing this?

Thanks in Advance,

Tom

5 answers to this question

...this strategy sounds like it is putting some unnecessary stress on the drives, with adding drives one-by-one, copy over data and possibly later duplicate or re balancing the pool.

AFAIU you want to swap OS and keep the pool as it is.

Not knowing what WHS will do with the existing pool-drives upon install, I'd move the pool disks out of the box for safety, install the OS, install DrivePool driver/SW, add the disks back in and import the pool.

...assuming you do have a working offline backup of your data, that is  ;)

Or there is this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5463715

or this:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/25196-restore-cd-wont-boot-my-computer/?p=129161

It's all basically the same thing. A quick way to migrate WHSv1's Drive Extender pool to StableBit DrivePool.

Yeah, if you skimmed it, you could easily miss that info. But I'm used to reading things with all sorts of formatting. :)

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what asked. And honestly, migrating from anything to DrivePool is basically the same.... add the disk to the pool. move the contents into the hidden PoolPart.xxxx folders, and reset the NTFS permissions.