[Feature Request] Read only connection

steffenmand

Question

Hi,

i know it has been talked about before, but wanted to do a request thread for it.

It could be nice if you can attach a drive at multiple locations through a read only mode.

i can have data which other family members would want to connect to to see (home videos).

This way i control what is uploaded on my attach and they can purely read on theirs.

This should work without corrupting data :-)

6 answers to this question

This should work without corrupting data :-)

Not just about corrupting data, but also getting out of sync. Like the file allocation table, for instance.

We'd like to, but it's about logistics.

That said, if you have it mounted in a computer, you can share it (via Windows File Sharing) and configure it that way.

Not just about corrupting data, but also getting out of sync. Like the file allocation table, for instance.

We'd like to, but it's about logistics.

That said, if you have it mounted in a computer, you can share it (via Windows File Sharing) and configure it that way.

But it would require the bandwidth to be perfect from the spot where you share it. The other way it would be bandwidth from the provider

But it would require the bandwidth to be perfect from the spot where you share it. The other way it would be bandwidth from the provider

True. Though, the use case I was referring to was "around home". 

Though, for videos and the like, something like Plex or Emby's "Sync" feature may accomplish what you want (it's a bit roundabout... but it may work)

Still hope that this at some point can be made possible as it increases the usage possibilities alot - however i know its not now or in the near future :-)

using plex i could just let my family stream through me - however would be smarter if they were not reliant on my server. The sync feature just uses more space on the cloud somewhere and then im limited to the providers for the sync feature :-)

True. Though, the use case I was referring to was "around home". 

Though, for videos and the like, something like Plex or Emby's "Sync" feature may accomplish what you want (it's a bit roundabout... but it may work)

Or just run an SFTP/FTPS server like Blackmoon hosting the directory.