SSD drive as both cache and archive drive?

mr_yellow

Question

Hi guys,

With the lower prices of SSDs, I picked up a 1TB SSD to add to my drive pool. I already have a small SSD in the pool(my system drive) and I was hoping with 2 SSDs I can get full write speeds into my duplicated folders. It was to my surprise I can only select the new drive as an SSD or as an archive disk but not both. Is this by design? I want to use the 1TB SSD as both the initial dump and as an archive disk.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

I noticed another weird behaviour with the way the SSD Optimizer Balancer works...

So I've setup a bunch of file placement rules to force some VMware VM's onto the new 1TB SSD I have.  Drivepool says it's out of balance, and I initiate a rebalance and it happily moves all my VMDK's onto the new SSD.  

Then, it says it's out of balance afterwards, so I click to rebalance and then it starts moving files OFF the SSD.   I suspect this is because of the SSD Optimizer Balancer because it's marked the drive as an "SSD" drive and sets the unduplicated target to zero.  

The balancer then goes back and forth between moving stuff onto the drive and off...

Any way I can force files onto the SSD first,  and while still allowing other 'archived' files to remain on the drive?

thanks

Now I have some strange behaviour...  It looks like the new SSD is not respecting the file placement rules i have.  

I've excluded the SSD from the video share yet I see a lot of duplicated videos being stored on the SSD

I've included ONLY the SSD for my VMDK's, yet I only see ~50% of the actual VMDK's being stored on the SSD.

What exactly is going on here?  Is there a way to force drivepool to reshuffle the files around?  

Thanks,

Because of how the SSD Optimizer balancer works, yes, you can only choose SSD or Archive.  (maybe we should have used option boxes instead of check boxes).

If you're using the SSD Optimizer and having issues, try disabling all of the other balancers (except the StableBit Scanner one), and see if that helps.

If not, on the main balancer page, try unchecking the "File placement rules respect real-time file placement limits set by the balancing plug-ins" option and see if that helps.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the help,

I've currently left my 1TB SSD as an archive drive and forced the VMDK's to live only on the SSD.  

Everytime I set the 1TB SSD as an SSD drive, the SSD Optimizer does seem to want to start moving stuff off the SSDs right away.  so for now, I've left it as an archive drive.

Is there a way to set the amount of unduplicated files on an SSD drive besides zero?

Thanks,