Reinstall, and permissions

vanian

Question

Hi,

My home server is behaving strangely (not allowing me to update my virus checker, or install a new one), so i suspect maybe it has a virus and i may have to reinstall windows if i can't fix it.
I have 2 disks pooled to a new drive letter.
As far as i know if i reinstall windows from scratch, and install drivepool again, it will automatically add in the pool again, right?
So i have 2 questions:

1. How would the affect my license? Would i need to do anything?

2. I have my server setup with several users and groups, and i have applied different permissions to different folders on my drive pool.  If i reinstall windows i will lose those user accounts, so will this mean i will have trouble accesing areas of my pool. Basically, i'm unsure what the deal is regarding folder permissions on shares, if they get reset or if it will  mess things up a lot.

Any advice regarding my situation would be appreciated. Of course it would be best if i could fix the virus checker software problems (bitdefender paid, and Avira free both hang on installation).

Thanks
James

5 answers to this question

Yup, once you've reinstalled the OS and reinstalled StableBit DrivePool, it will identify the pooled disks and recreate the pool.

As for your license, if you're able, you'd want to deactivate it. If you're not able to, just open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contactand let us know. We'll take care of you there.

As for the permissions, yes.  Since the user accounts have uniquely generated "SID"s, the new users won't use the same ones and will have different accounts. You'd need to re-setup the permissions (and you'll see the "old" SIDs listed when you do this).

If you're using the built in users or user groups, these will carry over just fine.

As for checking the system, run a disk check ("chkdsk c: /r", and run "sfc /scannow").  Additionally, have you tried running the Microsoft "Mr Fixit" program? This does wonders for installation issues:

https://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall

Hi Christopher,

Thank you very much indeed for the help, above and beyod the call of duty as last time i posted. :) Very useful advice. I will try those things..

I just have a couple of small follow up questions, as it's looking more like i will have to do the reinstall.

- If i deactivate my license in preperation for the update, what will happen to my pool? Will it stop working until i activate again.

- I had a look at the deactivate activate option in the software, to prepare.  And i noticed instead of Deactivate it had "Transfer License" instead. I assume this maybe to do with my October update to Win 10 from 8.  So im wondering if i reinstall win 10 (via reset i suppose) would i then see this Transfer? I guess if i deactivated i wouldn't..but if i didn't?  I suppose the best thing is to deactivate.

But i clicked the transfer anyway and it then must have activated and then offered the deactivate option.  I wonder why it's been working if it needed the transfer pressing.  Just curious about it.

Thanks again, really helpful.

James

You are very welcome!

- If i deactivate my license in preperation foIr the update, what will happen to my pool? Will it stop working until i activate again.

It puts the pool into an unlicensed state. The contents will be readable, but you may not be able to write to the pool.

IIRC, you should be able to activate the trial period after doing this, but please update to the Public Beta version if you want to do this (there was a bug in the 2.1.1.561 version where it would essentially get "stuck" here).

- I had a look at the deactivate activate option in the software, to prepare.  And i noticed instead of Deactivate it had "Transfer License" instead. I assume this maybe to do with my October update to Win 10 from 8.  So im wondering if i reinstall win 10 (via reset i suppose) would i then see this Transfer? I guess if i deactivated i wouldn't..but if i didn't?  I suppose the best thing is to deactivate.

But i clicked the transfer anyway and it then must have activated and then offered the deactivate option.  I wonder why it's been working if it needed the transfer pressing.  Just curious about it.

Deactivate/Transfer, it should be the same. We have changed the exact wording at some point to make it a bit clearer as to what is going on. Sorry for the confusion.