Error - 0x800705AA when copying from client PC to Network Share

hansolo77

Question

I've searched google, and people are just flat out unsure WHAT causes it.  NIC drivers, Folder Permissions, File Sizes, Extremely large LOG files, Firewall/AntiVirus, corrupted Windows, RAM.  They've all been suggested.  I'd just about given up, when I came across an old thread (2011 era) related to DrivePool.  Ah-ha!  A potential resolution.  So I'm posting it here in hopes that somebody else has come across this error and knows of a solution..

http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/73/write-error-on-storage-pool-error-0x800705aa-insufficeint-resources-exist-to-complete-the-requested/p1

Basically, if I try to transfer any file larger than probably 2k (it worked for text but not a 25k picture) over my network from a client computer to a server running DrivePool, I get this error:

An unexpected error is keeping you from moving (copying) the file.  If you
continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for
help with this problem.

Error 0x800705AA: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the
requested service.

I've never received this error before.  It has actually been coming up here in the last couple of days since I've been messing around with the new SAS expander and drive planes in my server.  When I installed the new SAS expander, I thought I had screwed up my DrivePool and uninstalled/reinstalled the DrivePool software in hopes that it would fix it.  Since then, I've been having this issue.  Is it possible my uninstall didn't completely UNINSTALL?  Or is it maybe because I installed the beta?  Something else I've just noticed.. my Server Essentials Dashboard is showing that the Active Directory Certificate Services (CertSrv) service isn't running.  I tried to "repair" but it comes back.  If I check the Services management, it shows it's not running, and if I start it, I get an error.  Could this be what's causing it, or is that a whole different issue?

No, actually its Windows 7 Ultimate x64.  And the server is Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 x64.  I'm not sure, but I really think the problem is because of DrivePool.  If I try to copy/move the same file around on my Windows 7 system, it works fine.  I can also move things around on the server.  It's only doing it when I try to do across the network. 

I've spent the evening trying to resolve this, and nothing I do helps.  I'm going to attempt to do a system recovery from a backup on the server, not sure how that will work.  In the event it doesn't work, I plan on formatting and reinstalling Windows.  Probably wouldn't hurt, since I've not done that in YEARS.  Maybe now would be a good time to jump off Windows 7 and dive into Windows 10?  How crazy is it?  I know for starters that they've completely removed Media Center.  I'm ok with that now.  I've been building a Raspberry Pi up with Kodi and I'm really digging it.  The only feature Media Center had left that Kodi doesn't quite do well yet is the PVR functions, and I'm already working on an alternative where my server does the recording for me.  The only problem is that my server's storage is VERY LOW at the moment.  Like less than 1 tb.  So I'm going to have to do something about that.  But other than the Media Center/PVR stuff, is there anything major I need to worry about going in on Windows 10?  It looks like it runs in a touchscreen interface, is there a way to disable that?  I'm sure there is by now.  Also, does Windows Server communicate with it ok as far initiating wake ups for backups?  What about on-demand waking up of the server through Lights-Out, is it compatible with Windows 10 yet?  And finally... is it true what I read that I'll have to PAY and SUBSCRIBE to a service to get updates from Microsoft, or was that just crap rumors?

I think what I'll do (if the restore from backup doesn't work) is create a new manual backup of the current setup.  Then if running with Windows 10 doesn't work out well, I can always come back to this and hope somebody has a solution or something I can try.

Ah, well, that's odd. 

If you could, grab logs for us. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Also, yo umay want to try downgrading to 2.1.1.561, as that doesn't seem to experience the issue. 

If you're on that version ... let us know.

And finally... is it true what I read that I'll have to PAY and SUBSCRIBE to a service to get updates from Microsoft, or was that just crap rumors?

That's crap rumor.  Once you have Windows 10, you have it. And they're offering it as a SaaS crap (Software as a Service).  The trade off is that there will be much more rapid release cycles.... but you give Microsoft more information (just like you already do with Apple and Chrome and Android). 

As for the media center stuff... well Windows 10 has much better codec support. :)

And everything that is "touch" works as a windows App (unlike in Windows 8). Specifically, it does have a "Tablet Mode" which is the touchscreen thing you're referring to... but it's not mandatory. 

As for Lights Out, I believe there is a WIndows 10 version already. I'm not sure.

As for WIndows Server (and I'm assuming Essentials here), yes and no. The server doesn't actually wake up the clients for backup. It creates a scheduled task on the client and *that* wakes up the client. So it definitely works fine (my computers wake up fine).

Cool Chris, thanks for getting back to me.

I remember specifically downloading that beta version (v 2.2.0.651) when I tried reinstalling it.  I will try uninstalling it and reinstalling the official "stable" version (v 2.1.1.561).  I typically do that if I have the capabilities; download the beta.  I usually have no issues and something it is "fixing" might be something I needed.  I couldn't remember which version I had before, and remember discussing things about the beta version having better compatibilities with hardware.  But yeah, I'll give that a go tomorrow.  One of the nice things about having an "off every-other day" part-time schedule is you can spend a whole day working with stuff like this without trying to remember what you did in the fleeting 4-5 hours between work and sleep.  Unfortunately, the down side is that you have no money.  I'm going to go behind my doctor's back and try to open up my availability more and see if I can't cope stress-wise with some more hours. 

As for Windows 10.  That's awesome news.  I knew about the Media Center stuff and that was my primary reason for not going with the upgrade.  I built this computer for the sole purpose of watching TV on it.  Since I'm migrating to using Kodi and the server, this isn't really necessary anymore.  The other thing I was mostly concerned about was the suggested rumors that in order to continue receiving updates from Microsoft, you'd have to pay for a subscription to that functionality.  I believe I read that the first year would be free, as a "tease" to get everybody on board (like the "tease" to auto-install if you have a legit copy of 7 or 8).  After that, only extremely critical updates would be installed for free, but the weekly updates wouldn't be available.  What kind of information are we talking about here (where you said you're giving them more information).  Do I have to provide name/address/phone number/credit card type information when I go and register it?  I prefer to stay anonymous, and don't even participate in the "customer improvement programs".  I just don't like having that information available, especially to Microsoft who are DOWN with pirating and constantly on the receiving end of hacks and public leaks of information.  -  The only reason I ask about Light's Out is because I use that to wake my server if it's in standby.  The new build I have doesn't support S3 mode, so it only goes into full blown Hibernation.  Light's Out will initiate that just fine, but the only way I can wake it is with a MagicPacket, which the client software sends.  I know I can also wake my server from the "Advanced WakeOnLan" addon for Kodi, so if the Light's Out client doesn't work in Windows 10, I suppose I can always find an alternative.  -  As for waking up the client PC... I didn't know that's how it does it!  I always thought the server did all the work, and sent my client PC a MagicPacket to wake it up for backup.  That's a good way to do it I guess.  I think my way might have been better though.. what if the server is powered off?  The client would still wake up and try to do the backup.  But I guess the flip side is, what if the server tries to send the wake up and the client is powered off?  Lol, same situation.

Anyway, I'm exhausted.  Think I'm gonna run off to bed before I try to mess with this anymore tonight.  Tomorrow I'll try to uninstall DrivePool and install the old version.  Then if I still have trouble I'll do my restore.  If I still have trouble after that, it's Windows 10 time!

Success!  Uninstalled beta, installed stable, transferred over a file I've been trying to for the last couple of days, and it worked!  Of course, I still need to watch it, but I think that was my problem!

Glad to hear it!

However... could you try this build:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.653_x64_BETA.exe

See if this fixes the issue? 

(It should, hopefully)

As for the rest,

Windows 10: No, pretty much the opposite. Free OS for anyone that already owns a copy of Windows 7 or 8. After that, you need to purchase a copy of Windows 10.   After that, well, Windows 11 .... but we'll see.  Additionally, there is the "fast ring", which is basically a live beta build, as Microsoft plans on a much more rapid release cycle for major feature fixes and additions. 

As for what type of information... read up on the "Windows 10 spying on you" stuff. But it's basic telemetric stuff. How you're using the OS.  Most of it, you can opt out of. Some of it, you can't really (well, you can, but you need a hardware firewall, like Sophos UTM 9.3 to filter it). And yes, the data is completely anonymous. It's not used to track you all over the web, just to get useful telemetrics about your system usage. Stuff to continually improve the OS.

And as for the backups, it's better using the scheduled tasks. Some systems don't respond properly to the magic packets, and some switches don't relay them properly.  So using a scheduled task is much more reliable. :)

And if the server is powered off, it will still run the task, but it will fail, as the server is off.  But that's why LightsOut is nice. :)

If the server is sleeping, the activity may wake the server. however, again, the LightsOut client will attempt to wake the server in this case.

Ew.. I never thought of that.  Are unmanaged switches typically the kind that have trouble forwarding magic packets?  I was looking to buy one here in the coming months and thought that would be the way to go.  If that would be a problem, I need to rethink it.

i will try that new beta here in a little while.  I'm downloading some stuff into the drive pool right now and I don't want to stop it because I'd have to restart.

Ew.. I never thought of that.  Are unmanaged switches typically the kind that have trouble forwarding magic packets?  I was looking to buy one here in the coming months and thought that would be the way to go.  If that would be a problem, I need to rethink it.

i will try that new beta here in a little while.  I'm downloading some stuff into the drive pool right now and I don't want to stop it because I'd have to restart.

No switch *should* have issues with it, but I've seen it happen. Basically, as long as you buy from a decent, reputable brand, you should be fine. 

I had the same problem using the 2.2.0.651 beta version.  I tried the 2.2.0.653 version you linked to and proceeded to copy about 500 GB of various video files and it was much better.  I only had the "Error 0x800705AA: Insufficient system resources" error one time during the transfer of about 1,000 files.

It looks like your on the right track to eliminate this issue.

I had the same problem using the 2.2.0.651 beta version.  I tried the 2.2.0.653 version you linked to and proceeded to copy about 500 GB of various video files and it was much better.  I only had the "Error 0x800705AA: Insufficient system resources" error one time during the transfer of about 1,000 files.

It looks like your on the right track to eliminate this issue.

If you're still seeing the issue at all, that's a problem. 

Could you enable file system logging, and reproduce the issue. As soon as you do, turn off logging, and upload the files.

That will help us identify what is going wrong still.

Specifically, the issue here:

* [D] [issue #21842] Roll back the change to fix request throttling crash on x86, simply avoid running that code on x86

This issue was introduced here:

* [D] [issue #13437] On x86 systems, in-flight request throttling was causing sporadic system crashes.

(specifically, in version 2.2.0.587)

The change in the newer version should avoid running the problem code (which was causing BSODs, and why it was "resolved"). 

Both of those issues you quote are relating to x86 architecture.  However in my situation, I'm running x64, so I don't think that's the problem.  Unless you're using x86 code for the x64 version?  As long as the stable version works, I see no need for me to bother upgrading unless I develop some further issue.

I can't work out whether what I'm seeing is an occurrence of this issue or just something similar. I am using FreeFileSync to copy from a Windows 7 64-bit system (not running DrivePool) to a Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials 64-bit box running DrivePool v2.2.0.651 and where the target location is on the pooled drive. One file was failing with error code 1450 (Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service) and nothing I could do would eliminate that error. All other files copied across fine and to add to the mystery when I manually copied the affected file to a Windows 8.1 64-bit system and synchronised it with the same network location on the WSS 2012 box the error did not occur and the copy completed normally (thus eliminating the issue, this time).

Could be something related to the DrivePool <-> Windows 7 transfer since that's what I was doing as well.  Thanks for bringing this thread back up though.  I knew there was a reason I'm not using the beta version (that's a HINT to Chris from my other thread who wondered why I wasn't using it).  If the problem didn't happen with Windows 8, that's definitely gotta be helpful to the DrivePool programer to try and narrow it down.

Could be something related to the DrivePool <-> Windows 7 transfer since that's what I was doing as well.  Thanks for bringing this thread back up though.  I knew there was a reason I'm not using the beta version (that's a HINT to Chris from my other thread who wondered why I wasn't using it).  If the problem didn't happen with Windows 8, that's definitely gotta be helpful to the DrivePool programer to try and narrow it down.

Well, the internal beta build (2.2.0.653 and up) include a fix to address this issue. 

If you want try it out, the 2.2.0.659 is the latest, reliably build:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/

I can't work out whether what I'm seeing is an occurrence of this issue or just something similar. I am using FreeFileSync to copy from a Windows 7 64-bit system (not running DrivePool) to a Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials 64-bit box running DrivePool v2.2.0.651 and where the target location is on the pooled drive. One file was failing with error code 1450 (Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service) and nothing I could do would eliminate that error. All other files copied across fine and to add to the mystery when I manually copied the affected file to a Windows 8.1 64-bit system and synchronised it with the same network location on the WSS 2012 box the error did not occur and the copy completed normally (thus eliminating the issue, this time).

And as for x86 vs x64, there may be parts of the x64 OS that still us the x86 code, and that could be the issue.

And try the 2.2.0.659 build and see if that helps (see above for link).  

If it doesn't, let me know. ANd enable file system logging in StableBit DrivePool, reproduce the issue and post the files:

Just got this error again, now that I've updated to the BETA (2.2.0.651).  Downloaded an ISO from the net and went to move it from the Windows 7 x64 Client Machine into a folder on the DrivePool running on Windows Server 2012 Standard x64.  Enabled logging and recreated the error, then followed the Log guide and zipped it up for sending in.  You should have the file, but if not, I've also added it to Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5itcfdt397fznl/Service.zip?dl=0

Just got this error again, now that I've updated to the BETA (2.2.0.651).  Downloaded an ISO from the net and went to move it from the Windows 7 x64 Client Machine into a folder on the DrivePool running on Windows Server 2012 Standard x64.  Enabled logging and recreated the error, then followed the Log guide and zipped it up for sending in.  You should have the file, but if not, I've also added it to Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5itcfdt397fznl/Service.zip?dl=0

If you're on the 2.2.0.651, then this can happen.

Please update to the 2.2.0.659 build (linked above), as this should resolve the issue.

Hello,

I am testing DrivePool and I am also getting Error 0x800705AA sometimes, when copying files from a Win 8.1 64bit to a network share of a DrivePool on a Win10 64bit server.

Initially I installed a trial of the 2.2.0.651 BETA on the server with 2x4TB hds and I was able to copy around 7TB of files without a problem. Then I added 2 more 4TB disks to the pool, and the next time I tried a batch copy I started to have 0x800705AA errors. Retries would also fail. 

I followed instructions on this thread and updated to the latest beta available (2.2.0.663) and was able to copy another 2TB without problems. 

However, yesterday, I started to copy another 2TB of data and got this error again. This time a retry worked. Later I got a new error. So I followed your instructions, activated logging, then retried, and the 2TB copy finished without problems.

I have left logging activated and if I get this error will send you the logs, but I wanted to let you know that this problem is not completely solved.... 

Might be a returning bug in the later versions.  Chris suggested updating to the 2.2.0.659 version, and that worked for me.  Not being of an official capacity, you can take my suggestion or leave it.  But I would recommend maybe installing THAT version and see if you still have the problem.

2.2.0.653 and up shouldn't exhibit the issue. 

If you're using the Public beta ( 651 ) you may see this issue. But on the latest internal beta, you shouldn't see the issue. 

Though @jsaura,  What were you using to copy the files over? 

Also, are you running any antivirus, backup or disk tools on either system?

Could you post the results of this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701(from both systems, actually).

And if the issue does persist, please do get the logs and send them to us. 

Hello, 

I also have this issue on quite big files (32M to 2G ...) from my Win 7 to Stablebit that runs on Win10 1607 release (the last). Stablebit was beta 651 and now is 734. Both have the same issue.

Maybe the 1607 windows update recreate this issue ? 

Thanks.

Gian Luca

Hello, 

I also have this issue on quite big files (32M to 2G ...) from my Win 7 to Stablebit that runs on Win10 1607 release (the last). Stablebit was beta 651 and now is 734. Both have the same issue.

Maybe the 1607 windows update recreate this issue ? 

Thanks.

Gian Luca

Likely, it's more of an issue with the SMB stack and how it's handling things.

Also, have you tweaked the network autotuning feature?  If not, it may be worth doing so, as it helps with a lot of network issues, in my experience.