Not seeing all available drives in DrivePool 2.1.0.481.beta

bblue

Question

Hi,

I've been using the above for at least two years with no issues.  The main host is W8.1 Pro running a virtual host of WHS2011.  There is a 16 drive pool on the host, and a four drive pool on the WHS2011 guest.  These four drives are offline in the host so they can be assigned as physical drives in WHS, and that all works fine

But recently I had two drives of four in a non-duplicating pool on WHS fail within days of each other.  It was a hardware failure on one, and a big chunk of sectors in the other.  WHS got all confused and couldn't do anything useful, and there was too much data loss to try and save anything so I started over after fixing WHS's problems.

So drives F: and G: on WHS are new drives, J: and K: are the drives that have been there for the last couple of years.  To be consistent, I did a quick format and drive letter assignment on all four drives.  Now, in WHS all drives are empty and available, mounted correctly and all.  But when DrivePool is run, it only shows F: and G: drives as available for the pool (non-pooled).  I assigned them, no problem.  But what could be causing the other two not to show up?  All four look identical when viewed in the OS (with hidden files showing).  And since they were all quick-formatted, they should be in an identical condition.

I'm at a loss.  I've gone ahead and started backups going on the 1/2 size pool I have, and can add the other two when I figure out the problem.

Any assistance here?  Is there some place I need to delete an entry for the second two because they were the active ones in the previous pool?

Thanks for any info.

--Bill

2 answers to this question

Sorry, bill, hadn't gotten to this yet.

As for why, check Disk Management. Make sure that the drive isn't showing up as a dynamic disk (check the bottom half, and look at the left column, make sure it shows up as "Basic" and not "Dynamic").

If that doesn't help, well, try upgrading to the latest version (Stable: 2.1.1.561, Public Beta: 2.2.0.651), and see if that helps.

If not, try restarting the system. If that doesn't help, try resetting the settings for Stablebit DrivePool: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2299585B

You will need to use the "Alternative Steps" for the older version.