HowTo make a drivePool with the same letter as original drive

bmelloni

Question

Hello,

My primary purpose for using DrivePool is backup.  Being able to grow is also nice, but secondary.

I have a D drive and there are a number of installed applications that rely on it being "D".

I know that when creating a new drivePool it will typically create a new letter.  I am looking for a procedure that will allow me to end up with a D drivePool.  I thought of the following, but I would like confirmation that it would work:

1) I install two new drives, O and P.

2) In Windows Disk Management I rename D as Q.  Now there is no D.  I reboot just to be safe.

3) I create a drivePool based on O and P, with backup/mirror turned on.  I *HOPE* the drivePool will get the first free drive letter, which is D.  Can someone confirm this?

4) I move all the files from Q to the new drivePool D.  Then remove Q (the old D drive).

So... if the above is valid I should end up with a pool D based on O and P.  I have not tried it yet, because I can't risk losing my data.

Would this work?  Is there another way to achieve it?  Or am I just dreaming?

---

Note:  I asked this already as a followup to a support ticket a couple days ago.  But it wasn't as clear and I didn't see a way to edit it.  This is an attempt to be clearer.

3 answers to this question

You can change the drive letter for the Pool drive at any time.  Just like a normal drive.

Just use Disk management to do so. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q6811286

As for the pooled disks, I'd recommend mounting them to folders, so that you have a nice, clean "computer":

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624

And if you have existing data that you need/want moved into the pool, here is how to quickly move that data (seed the pool):

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

Thank you.  

I renamed my old drive from D to M, installed drives O and P, made a pool D = O+P, moved all the data into D.   Worked like a charm.

My next step... to take out the credit card and buy DrivePool and Scanner.

BTW... you need one more product to cover all the needs:  Something that can do a low-impact image backup of the Windows drive C just like DrivePool can do for any drive other than C.

Thank you.  

I renamed my old drive from D to M, installed drives O and P, made a pool D = O+P, moved all the data into D.   Worked like a charm.

My next step... to take out the credit card and buy DrivePool and Scanner.

BTW... you need one more product to cover all the needs:  Something that can do a low-impact image backup of the Windows drive C just like DrivePool can do for any drive other than C.

Glad to hear it!

As for a backup solution for the C:\ drive ... that's a lot more complicated. The best solution is probably going to be RAID. That way, it's handled at a low level (before the OS initializes, even).