Multiple damaged disks and how drivepool deals with them

crankycowboy

Question

Good morning. I've been a longtime user of Driverpool/Scanner. I have a small home server used mostly for media throughout my home (Plex media server). One of my drives has periodically shown "damaged" sectors and in scanner it states "not predicting immenant failure....etc), I have everythign in my pool duplicated, so I hadn't worried about it too much. I had another drive that was overheating quite a bit, and eventually Scanner detected a problem and on that drive it did detect imminant failure and automatically started migrating the data off the drive by rebalancing.  As a result, I purchased another 3 tb drive, removed the "imminant failure drive" from the pool. Placed the new drive in the system and added it to the pool. This is where things get weird.  Once added to the pool, Drivepool "measured" and then rebalanced....and then I restarted the computer (normal Windows update stuff...I'm on windows 10 btw).  When it restarted, the computer went to diskchk and got to 65% and stayed there forever. I eventually just restarted and told it to skip disk checking and it booted into windows. I went to scanner and told it to scan the new drive. It did, and it found damaged sectors on the new disk as well, with the same "not predicting imminant failure" message.  Now, drivepool starts remeasuring and trying to rebalance again.  I let the rebalance run for 16 hours and it only got to .05 percent.  I'm not certain what is causing the problem (new drive that is "damaged" or older drive that is "damaged" or both.  Furthermore, I'm not sure what to do to take the system out of the state of flux of rebalancing/remeasuring. Again, I have everythign duplicated, but have no idea how to proceed without losing anything. Please help!

Eric

3 answers to this question

What OS are you using?
What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

What version of StableBit Scanner are you using?

In the newer versions of StableBit DrivePool, in the UI, there should be an "X" button next to the bar at the bottom.  This should stop whatever task. 

Or "brute force it" and stop the entire StableBit DrivePool Service. This will stop the balancing and stuff, but prevent you from using the UI. 

As for the drive with the issues, try running a burst test on it (right click on the drive).

If this comes back with issues, then there may be a communication issue that is causing the issues here.

Chris....as usual (you have helped me many times), thank you very much.

As mentioned in my first post, I'm on Windows 10, 64 bit.

I'm running the latest versions of Drivepool (2.1.1.561) and Scanner (2.5.1.3062).

The new drive I just installed shows almost 26k worth of damaged sectors.  I told drivepool to remove it from the pool and it did.  The drive is still connected, and it has been running the burst test for 16 hours (how long should I let it run)? With that many bad sectors on a new drive, should I just opt to return it to the vendor (newegg)? I'm almost out of space on my server (about 750GB left), but do have another HD I can add into the pool, but have to remove the other new drive as I'm out of ports on my motherboard.  Looking into an external multi-bay enclosure. Please advise. Thanks again!

Eric

We recommend 24 hours for the burst test. But it can find issues as soon as minutes.

Also, for the disks, how are they connected? And check the volume map to make sure it's scanning "linearly" (eg, from the bottom right, to the left and up).

As for expanding storage, that because a complicated mess very quickly. (the complicated answer is look into SAS stuff.... but it's expensive...)