Methanoid

Question

EDIT: Should make out I am pretty pleased with DrivePool but no software is perfect!!

The "Other" category. I saw a nice post explaining how it's all the odds and ends etc but each of my HDDs seems to have 500Mb or more of this. Does DP do any cleaning of this junk? Does it also check or recreate missing Recycle bins? I am thinking that if it does then I might delete these and see if the recreated ones are less space used? It just seems that any good program should be as clean and tidy as it can be!!!

DP doesn't seem to respect its own placement rules. I have a "scratch" HDD for most usage. But I see DP is doing downloads and other intensive actions on other HDDs not in the rules. DP also seems to create files on drives that the file placement rules say NO to... but with empty directories. I have manually remove such directories from all HDDs in the pool but they keep re-appearing. You don't see them of course as they are inside the hidden folders on each HDD but why create something that isn't needed? Also makes it harder to find where files physically are if you need to sort out a mess later.

Could DP not have functionality to delete such empty directories it creates. Not directories that have been user created though as some people might need empty dirs or some programs look for them to store save files in.

Q: Does DP have a universal recycle? If a network access user deletes a file from the pool is it totally gone or could it be moved to a temporary Bin that could either be manually or automatically/regularly emptied? Useful if your family accidentally hit Delete on that 10Tb "Videos" directory!!!!???

One nice feature on Flexraid (included in its Pool functionality) is the ability to mark the directory date with the date of the latest file created within it. Might not seem useful but it can be handy to be able to sort directories by file accessed date (your most active directories can be on top of list). Worth "borrowing"?

3 answers to this question

What OS are you using (version and architechture/bit), and what version of StableBit DrivePool?

And no worries on the tone. It's not actively hostile, so I definitely read it as more concerned than anything. And there is absolutely no issue with that (and we welcome that, in fact).  on the actual content, 500MB of "other" data may be absolutely fine. 

This is the FAQ you're speaking of which:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/37-faq-unduplicated-vs-duplicated-vs-other-vs-unusable/

(statement, not question) 

The second post here is what you should really take a look at.

Specifically, two folders that will be present on every disk is the "System Volume information" folder and the "$RECYCLE.BIN" folders. Assuming you're not using data deduplication, you should be able to safely delete both folders.  Though, you'll have to take ownership and change the permissions to do so. 

But again, 500MBs shouldn't be anything to worry about , for the most part.

As for the file placement rules, are the actual files being placed there, or just the folders? 

If you're not sure ... well, it may be just the folders are being created to house the duplication setting "tags". But please enable file system logging and reproduce the issue. This will get a clear idea of what is happening.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

And no, there isn't a universal recycle bin. However, the pool will use the recycle bin, when requested.

However, if deleting the contents is a concern, it may be worth setting up the NTFS permissions on the pool to prohibit modification of files except for specific users.  That way, only certain users can delete files.

As for the date stuff, ... the issue with that is performance. Specifically, we'd have to enumerate the folder, all of it's contents, and for ALL of the matching folders on the pool. Then we'd have to sort them.  As you can guess, this can very very costly in terms of disk access and processing time. 

However, I believe the following setting may get that (but I'm double checking with Alex, the developer)

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings

CoveFs_SortedDirectoryQueries (set to "true")

Hi Chris, thanks for such a full reply... Win10 x64 running DP 2.1.1.561

Re Other Files:

I have in a given HDD root directory:

$RECYCLE.BIN

PoolPart.f3237f6a-b814-40a2-b137-07dffb12bb82

System Volume Information

Within the Poolpart directory I have 

$RECYCLE.BIN (ANOTHER!!!)

.covefs

My_Video (My files!!)

System Volume Information (ANOTHER)

Q: So which Recycle Bin(s) can I safely delete and allow Windows/DP to recreate?

-----

Re: Folders being created?

It's just empty folders it seems now. I don't have any more files in wrong places as far as I can tell. But if I see any sign of it I will start logging

-----

Re: Universal Recycle - I can't really do permissions as such. Wife does need to edit files and occasionally delete stuff. I'll just tell her if she cocks up its not on my head (and then standby for my imminent death when she deletes something she wanted!!!)

-----

Re: Sorted enumerated folders - thanks for the pointer. I'm having a general sluggishness in my file systems (I feel like I am writing to floppy disks not 100Mb/s hard disks) so am not gonna take any more performance hits. I think i just need 50Tb of SSDs instead!!

Well, the "$RECYCLE.BIN" and "System Volume Information" folders are two folders that are created on every NTFS volume. 

Since they are created on the pool, as well, they will usually appear in the PoolPart folders. 

If you do want to delete them, do so from the pool drive directly. This will remove them from all the poolpart folders until Windows recreates them. 

If you want, you can change the recycle bin settings:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-recycle-bin-settings#1TC=windows-7

Re: Sorted enumerated folders - thanks for the pointer. I'm having a general sluggishness in my file systems (I feel like I am writing to floppy disks not 100Mb/s hard disks) so am not gonna take any more performance hits. I think i just need 50Tb of SSDs instead!!

I'd check the disks then. use StableBit Scanner to do a burst test, if you suspect performance issues.

But as for SSDs, don't we all. :P