Great product

zim2323

Question

I've been testing drive pooling products.  I started with tRAID.  I'm sure someone has had good luck with it but I always got write failures and other issues with the 'array'.

So far Drive Pool has been solid.  Definitely looking to purchase before the trial period is up, given I have no issues.

Great job so far guys!

3 answers to this question

Yes, that was the FlexRAID product.  It "seems" like a good idea, but 8+ hours to build the parity drive for a 10TB array was a little much.  If it would have worked I would probably have been ok with it, but with the way these products (drive pooling) are meant to be used, the more TB would mean that much more time to not only add disks, but to create additional parity.  I can't live without my volumes for 2-3+ days as the pool grows.

Thanks!

Yes, that was the FlexRAID product.  It "seems" like a good idea, but 8+ hours to build the parity drive for a 10TB array was a little much.  If it would have worked I would probably have been ok with it, but with the way these products (drive pooling) are meant to be used, the more TB would mean that much more time to not only add disks, but to create additional parity.  I can't live without my volumes for 2-3+ days as the pool grows.

Thanks!

And that's pretty much exactly why I'm not a fan of any parity based solution. 

Duplication may take up more disk space, but if something happens, it's still accessible, even while StableBit DrivePool deduplicates the affected files.