SSD usage with more than one SSD as cache

propergol

Question

I am not 100% sure of that but with 3 SSDs as cache (since I have some folder duplicated x3) when I write to the pool into a folder without duplication then this is always the same SSD that is used.

If I am correct then it would be better if write could be randomly done on one of the 3 SSD and not always the same one.

7 answers to this question

I have recreated partition on the 3 SSDs so they have now the exact same space avaible.

I have made other write tests and it realy looks like the same SSD is always used when duplication is x1 so no duplication.

An other thing I did noticed is that when writting to a x3 folder, so basicaly to the 3 SSDs at the same time, then in main DrivePool disk perfomance windows, only one SSD write is shown. We should normaly have 3 bars since 3 SSDs are being written.

I have recreated partition on the 3 SSDs so they have now the exact same space avaible.

I have made other write tests and it realy looks like the same SSD is always used when duplication is x1 so no duplication.

An other thing I did noticed is that when writting to a x3 folder, so basicaly to the 3 SSDs at the same time, then in main DrivePool disk perfomance windows, only one SSD write is shown. We should normaly have 3 bars since 3 SSDs are being written.

I've actually noticed the same. So there is definitely a bug there. 

However, this is a performance UI bug.  When I've seen this, I've manually confirmed that all copies are created properly. So it's definitely a UI bug.

Flagged for Alex (the developer).

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/20843

However, could you enable file system logging, reproduce it and upload the logs? 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

I am uploading the logs.

Here is what I did :

- started DrivePool log

- copied 18GB movie to a x1 DrivePool folder

- waited for SSD cache to write it to HD

- copied the same movie from the same source to a x3 DrivePool folder

- waited for SSDs cache to write it to HDs witch took longer since SSDs are emptied one by one.

I hope it could help.

EDIT : uploading done.