Drives disconnection on startup - a possible solution

analison

Question

Apologies if this has already been done, if it has I missed it.

There are a few posts here from people finding missing drives from a cold start which then re-appear after a while, but then Drivepool has to go through the process of re-ennumerating the pool, which can take a while if the pool is large.

I've had Drivepool working perfectly under W7 Ultimate X64 for a while now, but when I upgraded to W8.1 Pro X64 I was getting missing drives (not always the same ones) on cold start. A restart made everything present and correct, as did waiting a minute or so, but every time the pool had to be re-enumerated, which was irritating.

Of the posts here regarding similar problems, in each case the suggested fix is to go to services.msc and change Drivepool's startup from Automatic to Automatic(delayed) in order to allow Windows to initialise the disks before Drivepool starts. I was in the process of doing this but, while I was there I had a scroll through the list just to see what was there. One of the entries was for Intel Rapid Storage Technology, and it was set to Automatic(Delayed), which seemed odd.

So I changed the Intel service to Automatic and left the Drivepool service at Automatic (ie neither of them delayed) and the problem seems to have disappeared. I've gone from between 3 to 6 drives disconnected on EVERY start to none at all for the past week.

Not suggesting that it is a universal solution but it worked for me.

FWIW it's an ASRock Z87 Extreme6 mobo, Intel Rapid Storage Technology V12.8.0.1016 (current version).

Regards

Tony Allison.

1 answer to this question

Well, I'm glad to hear that you were able to find a solution!

And yeah, "Automatic (Delayed Start)" would definitely be normal (it is on all of my systems). 

Another option (if you do run into the issue in the future) is to add the Intel RST service as a dependency for StableBit DrivePool. That should also fix the issue (and may do so better, in fact).