My (always connected) HDD is showing as "unchecked"

edgedbyzero

Question

Hello,

Issue #1:

After a (normal) reboot which didn't include disconnecting the HD, I noticed that my WD HD (model:WDBACW0020HBK), which is connected to my HTPC 24/7, is displayed by Scanner as "Unchecked".

This is incorrect, as I know for sure that I've scanned this one on 12/10/15, and that it perhaps been checked later too.

Does Scanner "lose track"of HDDs on reboot? On what terms does it lose track, generally speaking?

Issue #2:

I have another Seagate 2TB, which is a portable HDD. I connected it to my HTPC and performed a scan. I then connected it a few days later (no more than 5), and it showed as "unchecked".

Does Scanner "lost track"of HDDs when they are disconnected from the HTPC, even for a short period of time?

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

What OS are you using, and what version of StableBit Scanner are you using (in the Scanner Settings window, at the bottom).

Could you open the sector map (double click on the drive).

http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=Disk%20Scanning%20Panel

If there is a scan going on, stop it first. If there are any gray sections, then it's lost track of them. However, if they're green or yellow, it means that it has scan them, but it may be more than 30 days since the last scan, and they need to be rechecked.

If they're gray, then please let us know.

And StableBit Scanner uses a good deal of information to identify the drives, so that it hopefully will always remember a drive. 

2.5.1.3062 scanner

7.1 Windows ultimate

Just after your reply I logged in and saw its performing a check. I stopped it and looked at the sector map and sectors that haven't been scammed were grey. Please note that after I stopped at the start/stop automatically option was turned off so your prompt support is is much appreciated here.

2.5.1.3062 scanner

7.1 Windows ultimate

Just after your reply I logged in and saw its performing a check. I stopped it and looked at the sector map and sectors that haven't been scammed were grey. Please note that after I stopped at the start/stop automatically option was turned off so your prompt support is is much appreciated here.

So a strange thing just happened: I got home today and turned on my TV screen. Windows was showing me the dialogue window that usually appears when an external storage device is connected (I didn't shut the PC down, and it couldn't have restarted on its own because I would have seen the login screen).

I then went to check on Scanner and it showed this disk as "Healthy", with the last check performed on 12/10/15.

Strange. Any idea why it re-remembered it?

So today I had a power outage while I was out of home. The PC must have been off for at least 10 hours.

I turn it on, launch Scanner, and the WD drive is one again "Not Checked". All the blocks are gray.

What gives? (And I wonder if 10 hours from now it'll again be recognized)

EDIT: And just to make things more interesting, I just plugged in my Seagate, which happens 1 every week-2weeks, and Stabebit Scanner identified it immediately. The WD one (the always connected one) is yet to be identified two hours after boot-up.

So today I had a power outage while I was out of home. The PC must have been off for at least 10 hours.

I turn it on, launch Scanner, and the WD drive is one again "Not Checked". All the blocks are gray.

What gives? (And I wonder if 10 hours from now it'll again be recognized)

EDIT: And just to make things more interesting, I just plugged in my Seagate, which happens 1 every week-2weeks, and Stabebit Scanner identified it immediately. The WD one (the always connected one) is yet to be identified two hours after boot-up.

So not sure exactly when, but exactly as I anticipated: opened DP today, and the WD was marked as "Healthy". The last check was on 26/10/15, which is exactly 14 days after 12/10/15, the last test. While I'd rather have drives identified late than never, I'm very curious about the root issue here.

Awaiting a reply.

Well, on a hunch, try checking the system date. Make sure that it is correct. 

Also, could you grab any error reports created on the system?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_for_Windows_Error_Reports

And could you try the public beta build, and see if that works better?

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3103_BETA.exe

And could you manually run "chkdsk c: /r" on your system?

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/20852