Where are my files?

cpl

Question

Hello! I'm runnung a flexraid setup with 5 drus and one ppu and just installed drivepool, im on windows 8 x64 and i only wan tthe pool option, no folder duplication.

adding the drives to the pool was easy enough, but i dont see my files and folders in the pool. they're obviously on the disks, but they dont show up in the pool. i keep reading something about the folders tab, but i cant locate it. the ui has only so few buttons, i dont think i'm missing something. also the quickstart seems to be written for windows home server, whats different for win 8? how do i get my files to show up?

or does the pool ignore existing files and only files show up which are added after the pool is created?

thank you!

5 answers to this question

When you add a disk to the pool, it creates a hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" (where the xxxxx's are a string of letters and numbers, called a GUID). When you add files to the pool, they are put into these folders. When you access the files in the pool, you are actually accessing the files in this folder.

And from the sounds of it, you have files on the drives already, that you want in the pool? Is this correct?

If so, you could just drag and drop the files into the hidden PoolPart folder on the drive, and they will show up in the pool right away.

Okay, so that is what you were asking. I wasn't sure.

If you need any more help, or have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

it worked, nice! couldn't find this bit of information in the wiki, maybe i just overlooked it.

i have one further question, is it possible to "lock" folders to disks? say a folder "Movies" can only exist on disk 1 and 2, a folder "TV Shows" only on disk 3 and 4? can that be done with a balancing plugin, or is such a plugin in the works?

thanks again!

You could set up multiple pools to do this, if you want. But you can't add the same disk to more than one disk. 

But this may be what you want.

But I'm sure it's possible to create a balancer to do that, and DrivePool has the API to support doing that (if you're a programmer, there is a link if you're interested. If you're not, please open a support ticket for a request, if you want).