should i try to put my older asus board back into service

Ryo

Question

my second question in this is if the mobo and cpus r dead what could be a good replacement for a workstation for basic to high end graphics?

I still have my socket am3 phenom 2 945 with 16gb gskill ram and my gt 640 is still working

the phenom is a quad core

Moved to the "Off Topic" section, as this doesn't seem to be StableBit Scanner related.

I have an Asus k8n-DL motherboard with 2 opteron 265 1.8ghz dual core cpu but itonly has 1.8gb ram and ddr 1 ram is getting hard to find. my ? is should I try rebuilding it or start over with something newer as a single chip solution.

Wow, that's ... a really old system. DDR4 is already available, and can be utilized by a few consumer systems.... :)

Though, it depends on what you're trying to use it for (though, a newer system is going to be much more power efficient)

my second question in this is if the mobo and cpus r dead what could be a good replacement for a workstation for basic to high end graphics?

I still have my socket am3 phenom 2 945 with 16gb gskill ram and my gt 640 is still working

the phenom is a quad core

Well the AM3 sounds like it should be plenty good enough.

Otherwise, it really depends on what you're trying to do. 

sorry about where I placed the ? ing thanks for the response. my major question is ... what is the difference with a dual cpu dual core opteron 265 running at 1.8ghz per cpu with ddr 1 pc 3200 ecc or a single phenom 2 945 Deneb running at 3.0GHz on ddr 3 1600.. either board can use my msi gt 640 2GB pci express 3.0 x16 graphics card

Basically, more bandwidth, over all.

DDR1 vs DDR3 .... the data rate is significantly faster, meaning that the CPU can do more and handle more, and faster. 

While both boards can handle PCI Express... each new generation of PCI Express basically doubles the data rate it can handle.  The older system is PCI Express 1.0 or 1.1 and the newer system uses PCI Express 2.0.  This means that the newer board is able to better utilize the GPU and get better performance out of it. Same with HBA/RAID cards. More data at once. 

However, both boards are bottlenecking the card in question, I believe (which may be PCIe 3.0)

As for the CPUs.... newer CPUs tend to run cooler and more efficiently than older CPUs. Not counting any added features. 

However, 2x dual core vs 1x quad core doesn't make as much of a difference, IIRC. And clock speed doesn't mean as much anymore, depending on the tasks at hand.

gonna use my phenom x4 945 3.0ghz for a midline gaming rig with 16gb ddr 3 1600 (4x4) and msi gt 640 2gb vid card

? is should I run a single ssd or multiple in raid 0 or raid 10?

crucial MX 200 250 GB is 94.99 on newegg at moment

or 4 in raid 0

gaming pc starting out with my phenom 2 945 with 16gb ram and a GT640 graphics

this Maxtor 300GB IDE ata 133 drive is to slowwwww   lol

was debating either 2 MX200 250gb in raid 0 or 500gb single

price is almost the same 500gb for 175ish or 250gb for 95ish each

? if anyone can help.... I'm tryin g to turn my amd phenom 2 945 Deneb 3.0ghz with 16gb (4x4) ddr3 1600 ram and msi gt640 2gb graphics card into a gaming rig

I'm looking at a 250gb MX 200 for os drive but may consider a new graphics card and I'm liking the msi gtx 970 series

will the 970 with with my phenom 2 without bottlenecking my system?

I'm planning on running win 10 pro

the 970 in ? is a 4GB card

This depends on the controller.

However, in general, the anwser is "no". The controller has to be in AHCI mode to get TRIM support.

Newer drives support "active garbage collection" and are better about not having TRIM support, I believe. But it's always best to have TRIM support.

Worst case, don't use RAID and use the Windows Backup feature to backup the system disk daily.

Well, the Msi 880GMA-E45 appears to only have one PCI-e 16x slot. So ... you'd only be able to use the one card on that system anyways.

As for the MSI 990FXA Gaming board, the first two slots are 16x and the third is 4x. So you could use both cards without an issue on that board.

So if you want to run SLI/Crossfire, that's the board you'd want.