Using a friends house as a cloud provider

TeleFragger

Question

So I was excited seeing this cloud piece as I get tired of backing stuff up to an external when we go on vacation.

Cloud providers issues..

1. My stuff on "Their Servers" 

2. pricing

3. My stuff on "Their Servers"

4. throttled at providers end

did I say...  My stuff on "Their Servers"....

anyway.. is there any way to use a friends house as a backup? really close friend so I dont mind my stuff on his machine as we are thinking of how to do this both ways... family pics, family movies, documents, etc...

is this possible?

thanks guys... Love my Stablebit DrivePool running on Server 2012R2 Essentials!

5 answers to this question

Personally I vacation in places that won't let me upload more than a few hundred MB a day.  (So no raw photos.)

Clouddrive doesn't support SFTP, but you could mount as a drive letter via SFTP and pair that with drivepool so that if you do feel like having the external around, speed is much better.

BItTorrent sync would definitely work in the meanwhile.

However, one of the providers to add is OpenStack Swift. Which a self hosted cloud storage server solution, IIRC.

And there has been requests for S3 compatible servers, as well, IIRC.

And we do want to add FTP/FTPS/SFTP support, as well.

I had issues when I last used BitTorrent Sync (When it was in beta) and ended up losing some files and was also looking for a way to use a friend as backup. We settled on AllwaySync, which works very well and does not impact our files at all. It does cost a little, but it is well worth it in my opinion.

I had issues when I last used BitTorrent Sync (When it was in beta) and ended up losing some files and was also looking for a way to use a friend as backup. We settled on AllwaySync, which works very well and does not impact our files at all. It does cost a little, but it is well worth it in my opinion.

I had the same issue with BT Sync.  That's why I love Stablebit...can duplicate across vdisks.