2 Questions - Overheating and Unwritable Sectors

quietas

Question

1) I get this message sometimes. Why is it reporting overheating at 28 celsius (82F) when the overheating threshold for WD Red 3TB is set to 65 Celsius?

StableBit Scanner Heat Warning on "SERVER". One or more disks are overheating:

• ATA WDC WD30EFRX-68E SCSI Disk Device - 28˚C (Maximum: 0˚C)
    • Model: WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0
    • Serial number: WD-WCC4NH73X1NR

You are receiving this message because you have set up email notifications to be sent to this address from the StableBit Scanner.

2) Scanner has been getting a lot of bad sectors on my WD Reds, 3 replaced in the past 6 months. Sometimes they are actually bad and I can verify with the other tools. This time I just ran a short and extended test with WD Lifeguard which did not detect any bad sectors. Which software is true, bad sectors or no bad sectors?

4 answers to this question

Hi

I had the same problem scanner said that there were bad sectors but wd lifeguard passed the drives I just did a full format and put the drives back in touchwood they have been fine I think scanner is a little too sensitive at times and when it flags an error it just won't let go, to test put scanner on a different machine 30day trial and scan the drive mine came up no bad sector but in the server it still flagged as bad it does stop by the time my next scheduled drive scan came up every 30 days the drive was fine.

1) I get this message sometimes. Why is it reporting overheating at 28 celsius (82F) when the overheating threshold for WD Red 3TB is set to 65 Celsius?

2) Scanner has been getting a lot of bad sectors on my WD Reds, 3 replaced in the past 6 months. Sometimes they are actually bad and I can verify with the other tools. This time I just ran a short and extended test with WD Lifeguard which did not detect any bad sectors. Which software is true, bad sectors or no bad sectors?

This is usually an issue with the SMART data and how we grab it. Sometimes the WMI method "fails" (it doesn't fail, but return blank/zero values for everything).

If you enable the "NoWmi" option for SMART, it should fix the issue.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

Find the SMART section and check "NoWmi" and reboot the system.

As for the bad sectors, specifically this is "unreadable sectors", and may not be reported as bad by the disk. If the disk or controller is having issues (such as a loose connection), it can cause this to happen. 

The difference is that the disk (or Windows via NTFS) has marked the sectors as bad, where as StableBit Scanner had issues reading from the specific sectors.

If you're seeing this frequently, right click on the disk in question, select "Burst test" and let  it run overnight (or for 24 hours ideally). If no errors are detected, then it's most likely a disk issue (and the "false positives" may have actually caused the disk to fix the problem sectors)

Hi

I had the same problem scanner said that there were bad sectors but wd lifeguard passed the drives I just did a full format and put the drives back in touchwood they have been fine I think scanner is a little too sensitive at times and when it flags an error it just won't let go, to test put scanner on a different machine 30day trial and scan the drive mine came up no bad sector but in the server it still flagged as bad it does stop by the time my next scheduled drive scan came up every 30 days the drive was fine.

See above. 

Also, clearing the status for the unreadable sectors should cause them to be rescanned. If this is occurring consistently, then the burst test may be a good idea for you as well.

This is usually an issue with the SMART data and how we grab it. Sometimes the WMI method "fails" (it doesn't fail, but return blank/zero values for everything).

If you enable the "NoWmi" option for SMART, it should fix the issue.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

Find the SMART section and check "NoWmi" and reboot the system.

As a followup I have had the NoWMI setting on for a bit now and I still get the overheating messages. It's really strange because the message states that the drive is 28 degrees with a max of 0. I get a notification that it is overheating and a second later i get an email saying everything is OK.

Is something wrong with the profile or possible the drive reporting it is some other type of drive? Could it be my SATA controller? The controller is an LSI raid card set in AHCI mode with RAID turned off.

This occurs only with my WD Reds. I have a pair of Hitachi 1tb drives highest in the case, but I have no issues with them.