Steam, games, and pool performance

Pichu0102

Question

I'm curious if anyone else has tried running Steam games off their pool with 2x duplication enabled. Did you have to filter your files onto the fastest drives so they wouldn't get stuck on slow ones for it to work well? Also, is there a filter onto fastest drives for a folder plugin anyone has made that checks Drivepool's performance information?

7 answers to this question

If the files are duplicated, then the pool should be using the Read Striping feature.

If one disk is significantly faster or one disk as more  "outstanding IO requests", the Pool will read from the faster or less busy disk. 
If both disks are "fine", it will read from both disks.  

However, you can use the "File Placement" feature to lock specific folders or files to specific (faster) disks, if you want (such as an SSD). 

I've just had Steam throw several errors when I am trying to install games

The Steam library placement rules say it goes all on the one HDD (3Tb, with 464Gb free).

I get "An Error occurred while installing Lost Planet 3 (not enough disk space)" - Really? 464Gb free guys?!?!??

I'm also finding Google Drive isn't happy being on the pool (regularly craps out). Since I stored my documents on Drive (and on 2 local disks using Pool) I now cannot use Google Drive

Does Drive Pool not like having live apps on it? 

I've just had Steam throw several errors when I am trying to install games

The Steam library placement rules say it goes all on the one HDD (3Tb, with 464Gb free).

I get "An Error occurred while installing Lost Planet 3 (not enough disk space)" - Really? 464Gb free guys?!?!??

Check the free space of the individual drives in the pool. It may be that one or more has a very small amount of space left. 

If all of them do have a lot of space, enable file system logging, reproduce the issue (eg, install to the pool) and upload the log files:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

I'm also finding Google Drive isn't happy being on the pool (regularly craps out). Since I stored my documents on Drive (and on 2 local disks using Pool) I now cannot use Google Drive

Does Drive Pool not like having live apps on it? 

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using, and what OS?

Try using the public Beta version and see if that helps.