+1 for GoogleDrive for Work support

Reptile

Question

Google Drive for Work means unlimited storage for about 40 dollar a month. And even normal googledrive accounts could be pooled together with drivepool. And nothing stops you from having multiple google accounts right.

Furthermore google has amazing speed. I get around 220 Mbit/s. Yes on gigabit fiber google allows to sync with up to 250 mbit/s per second. It would be wonderful to have Google Drive support.

Fast, afordable, unlimited.

Is there a beta release supporting this provider already?

Yours sincerely 

Reptile

Edit:

Preliminary Google Drive support added. 

Download available here:

http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/

Note: these are internal beta builds and may not be stable. Try at your own risk.

Google Drive Support starts with build 1.0.0.408 (current recommended for Google Drive)

Edited by Christopher (Drashna)
Google Drive info

Is there a setting that I can change in Stablebit to get better download speeds?  I am getting 400Mbit/s upload to google drive using my gbit server which is amazing but when it comes to downloading anything, I get around 6 to 8 Mbit/s which is definitely to slow for my purpose.  I have upload threads set to only 3 and am achieving these speeds but I changed my download threads to 10 but it doesn't seem like the program ever bumps it up past 3 or 4 max download threads.  I'm using build .410

It looks like today the download speeds are much better.  I just need to figure out the best settings to get media to start streaming a little quicker.  Right now it takes about 20 seconds before media starts playing but it plays great once it does start.  Anybody have any suggestions on setting changes for Prefetching etc?

It looks like today the download speeds are much better.  I just need to figure out the best settings to get media to start streaming a little quicker.  Right now it takes about 20 seconds before media starts playing but it plays great once it does start.  Anybody have any suggestions on setting changes for Prefetching etc?

I would think that would have more to do with the chunksize....

the default prefetch seems to be pretty good in respect to playing videos. and even on my slow connection with 1 MB chunksize my videos start playing in about 2 seconds.

What's the cache size on the drive? Larger is "better" in a lot of cases.

And what are your prefetching values? 

Setting the values too high (such as the forward or time window) may cause more performance issues than help.

My current settings are as follows:

Download Threads: 30

Upload Threads: 5

Prefetch trigger:   1MB

Prefetch forward: 15MB

Prefetch time window: 20 seconds

Local Cache Size: 80GB  (SSD)

Chunk Size: 100MB

When I start media from the cloud drive it takes Stablebit about 6 or 7 seconds before the download speed reaches 1Mb/s (Megabit) and it refuses to use more than 3 or 4 download threads even though I have it set to use 30.  After about 7 seconds the speeds jump up to 15 to 20Mb/s while still only using 3 or 4 threads and never going higher.  I assume the initial download speed delay is what is causing the media to take so long to start playing.  I tested the same thing with Netdrive and the download speeds immediately jump to 15MB/s (Megabyte) and the media plays almost instantly.

EDIT: Upload speeds are great! :)

CaeDjIa.jpg

Try setting the download threads to 4-5, and see if that helps.

It may be that it's trying to connect on a bunch of threads and erroring out because there are too many. 

If it doesn't help, change the threads, enable logging and reproduce the issue.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Log_Collection

Hi everyone,

Are people still getting great speeds through Google Drive? I tried it a week ago, and I couldn't get it to be reliable enough to stream 20 Mbps video on any combination of settings. I have a 300/20 Mbps connection.

If it's just me, I can gather logs and see if there's anything strange going on.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Are people still getting great speeds through Google Drive? I tried it a week ago, and I couldn't get it to be reliable enough to stream 20 Mbps video on any combination of settings. I have a 300/20 Mbps connection.

If it's just me, I can gather logs and see if there's anything strange going on.

Thanks!

What version are you using specifically?

And have you tried increasing the number of IO threads (in "Drive Options"->"Performance"->"IO Performance").  More threads means more concurrent operations, which may help to saturate the connection. 

I've been using v1.0.0.428 with various combinations of Download/Upload threads ranging from 2 to 5 as recommended above. My forward prefetching is also set to 10 MB. I will try more threads and report back.

PS: Is there a way to extend the CloudDrive trial? I have less than a week left. :)

Edit: I set my download threads to 10, but I'm not seeing more than 3-4 being used at once. Having trouble downloading at higher than ~20 Mbps. Connection maxes at 300 Mbps.

Try using the 441 beta build.  It adds large chunk support, and some other optimizations. It may work a lot better for you.

http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.0.0.441_x64_BETA.exe

It should also reset the trial period. If not, let me know.

And if it's not using more threads, that is a limitation of Google Drive's API, I think.

Hope everyone had a great new year!

Just wanted to give a follow up of the testing i have been doing.

I have been using 441 beta build with Google Drive unlimited.

I have been using 3 Download threads and 10 Upload threads.

So far with this i have been having no errors and uploading at around 150-175 mbps, with a download of 200-230 mbps.

Has been running smoothly and no issues (going on since 441 was released). 

I do notice that if i destroy a drive. The destroyed drive shows up under my google account list, but i am unable to delete the destroyed drive, it gives a permission issue. I have 4 of these destroyed drives showing that cannot be removed. no big deal really, since i can still create new ones. The program is being run as admin so not for sure whats up.

It is not letting me post the image from my google drive, so here is the link to show the error of the image.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B55xGiCB0c8nNFNpN19WbXFVb0E

Keep up the great work with the program and love the direction it has been going!

Sorry for the delay.

Alex has confirmed that it does look like a permission issues on Google's side. 

However, logging out and logging back in may fix this... if it's still an issue. (the deleted drive issue).

I just tried logging out and back in, still gives the permission error. Using the latest build. 

Just started using Google Drive for Work, which is perfect! I max out my upload, which is awesome! 

Uploading 100 mb chunks, which are uploaded in a second, giving me max speed!

HOWEVER

i noticed with download, it seems to download only 1 or 2 mb at a time, using an offset in the chunk for download.

As i have just as large download as upload, i would prefer that this download size could be defined on my end, so that i can select that to download the full chunk, instead of just a small part of it.

These small part downloads makes the download speeds be really low, as speed is lost due to the thread having to start up again with a new partial download.

With 20 threads doing 1-2 mb at a time, it is hard to utilize high speeds, as the speeds never get up before the part is done due to the low size. It's 50-100 downloads for the same 100 mb and with the delay in start of part dl, it means A LOT slower speeds

Is it possible that you can make this an option we define ourselves ? 

Could you get the log from the drive, when this is happening, so we can take a look at what is going on specifically?

And we would rather optimize the performance for everyone. Especially as larger chunks will cause more of a wait/load time when accessing non-cached information.

But either way, I've flagged the issue/request for Alex.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/23906

But also, what OS is this, what version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

And could you post the results of this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

Could you get the log from the drive, when this is happening, so we can take a look at what is going on specifically?

And we would rather optimize the performance for everyone. Especially as larger chunks will cause more of a wait/load time when accessing non-cached information.

But either way, I've flagged the issue/request for Alex.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/23906

But also, what OS is this, what version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

And could you post the results of this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

using .442 on windows 8.1

i understand performance is priority, thata why the read offset should be definable just like the upload chunks :-)

getting 800-900 mbit upload and only 40-50 mbit download is a big difference. all the trouble comes from the fact that it takes 50-100 read threads to get the same chunk as a sibgle upload thread does.

will get logs later today

Well, I'm glad to hear that it's working great for you now!

As for the destroyed drive, it may be that the delete is pending on Google's size. 

I've flagged the issue for Alex, so he can take a look. 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/22893

Any update to the reason this is being caused? have 5 destroyed drives now all unable to be deleted without the previous error showing. Also the drive size was 100 TB if that helps.

using .442 on windows 8.1

i understand performance is priority, thata why the read offset should be definable just like the upload chunks :-)

getting 800-900 mbit upload and only 40-50 mbit download is a big difference. all the trouble comes from the fact that it takes 50-100 read threads to get the same chunk as a sibgle upload thread does.

will get logs later today

Basically, this may just be an architecture issue and not much can be done about it.

That said, I've talked with Alex directly about this, and we can add an option to disable (or change) the partial chunk size, which should help/work around this issue. 

Also, I'm very jealous of your connection. 

Any update to the reason this is being caused? have 5 destroyed drives now all unable to be deleted without the previous error showing. Also the drive size was 100 TB if that helps.

Were you able to upload logs? If so, I'm not really finding them. 

And have you tried logging out of the provider (go the "add" list, click on the "X" next to the account) and log back in.

If that doesn't help (or if you've already tried), see if the deleted disk is still listed in the "add" list. If so, try deleting again.

Specifcally, this definitely is a permission issue with the provider. As for why, try enabling logging and reproducing:

Basically, this may just be an architecture issue and not much can be done about it.

That said, I've talked with Alex directly about this, and we can add an option to disable (or change) the partial chunk size, which should help/work around this issue. 

Were you able to upload logs? If so, I'm not really finding them. 

And have you tried logging out of the provider (go the "add" list, click on the "X" next to the account) and log back in.

If that doesn't help (or if you've already tried), see if the deleted disk is still listed in the "add" list. If so, try deleting again.

Specifcally, this definitely is a permission issue with the provider. As for why, try enabling logging and reproducing:

I ended up restarting the computer, and the issue seemed to have fixed it self and the drives were able to be destroyed/deleted =)

If the error appears again ill  upload some logs for ya

The change of partial chunk size is all i wanted :) This will make it possible to utilize the speeds in download as well! The partial read is just great, but the 2mb chunk size just made it slow down the connection incredibly much!

Scandinavia has really good internet, especially as we got fiber connections coming up all over the country (Denmark here). Being a small country has its benefits as its cheaper to get the cables everywhere!

Stablebit truly shows its power here, and it works incredibly well! - as soon as the download can get its speeds up ;)

I ended up restarting the computer, and the issue seemed to have fixed it self and the drives were able to be destroyed/deleted =)

If the error appears again ill  upload some logs for ya

Ah, okay.

If it does come back, then yes, please do get those logs.

Also, if rebooting fixed the issues, then definitely make sure to get the "store" files when this happens (in the ProgramData\StableBit CloudDrive folder), and see about getting a process memory dump for the "CloudDrive.Service.exe" service (using the task manager)

The change of partial chunk size is all i wanted :) This will make it possible to utilize the speeds in download as well! The partial read is just great, but the 2mb chunk size just made it slow down the connection incredibly much!

Scandinavia has really good internet, especially as we got fiber connections coming up all over the country (Denmark here). Being a small country has its benefits as its cheaper to get the cables everywhere!

Stablebit truly shows its power here, and it works incredibly well! - as soon as the download can get its speeds up ;)

Yeah, I can definitely see that. The added overhead of the HTTP connection could definitely slow this down.  And this is definitely on our "to-do" list, as it would definitely help those with high throughput connections. 

Also, having actual competition helps to! I live in the US, and it's an monopoly here. So it's take what you get, or get DSL/satellite. So they have no incentive to lower prices or deliver more bandwidth. :(

And yeah, we definitely know that the product scales very, very well. In fact, that was part part of the initial problems with Amazon Cloud Drive. It scaled too well for them. :)

But glad to hear that Google Drive scales very well.

Ah, okay.

If it does come back, then yes, please do get those logs.

Also, if rebooting fixed the issues, then definitely make sure to get the "store" files when this happens (in the ProgramData\StableBit CloudDrive folder), and see about getting a process memory dump for the "CloudDrive.Service.exe" service (using the task manager)

Yeah, I can definitely see that. The added overhead of the HTTP connection could definitely slow this down.  And this is definitely on our "to-do" list, as it would definitely help those with high throughput connections. 

Also, having actual competition helps to! I live in the US, and it's an monopoly here. So it's take what you get, or get DSL/satellite. So they have no incentive to lower prices or deliver more bandwidth. :(

And yeah, we definitely know that the product scales very, very well. In fact, that was part part of the initial problems with Amazon Cloud Drive. It scaled too well for them. :)

But glad to hear that Google Drive scales very well.

youre right, we have a lot of providers here with more popping up all the time. increases the bandwidth and prices for everyone. i think our government set a goal that everyone in te country must have access to 100 mbit by 2020.

When a future beta includes this change im gonna grab a nice screenshot to promote stablebit a bit, it is really awesome and A LOT more stable than all other options available.

hope it makes it in soon ;-)