SMART values for SSD SanDisk Extreme II and PRO 240 Gb

propergol

Could you download the Direct IO Test utilty?

http://dl.covecube.com/DirectIoTest/

Select the drive in question. 

See if the SMART Attributes option lights up (green check/tick mark next to it).  If it does, click on the elipse button, and make sure it displays info (there should be a "table" type format that lists a bunch of values).  

If it doesn't display this info, see if checking the Unsafe Direct IO option works.  If not, then the drive isn't passing on SMART data. 

If it is, then you may need t enable the setting in StableBit Scanner.

Thanks

So first I did added a new SSD and Scanner's SMART window is empty here too  :(

The first SSD Sandisk Extreme II is plugged into Intel's mobo port and the second Sandisk Extreme Pro into M1115.

I have made a video that shows what Scanner, Direct IO Test are showing. I have also included a Hard Disk Sentinel view that seems to read SMART without  issue.

https://youtu.be/Yh6yDzXk5nM

Hi Christopher.

I have the exact same problem. Checking the disk with the I/O Test Utility shows all smart values. But the Scanner does not. What setting do I need to change to show the values? Is a reboot necessary?

I am using version 2.5.1.3062.

Thanks.

Does it show the SMART Attributes without checking the "Unsafe direct IO" option?

If so, then let me know how the drive is connected and and what model it is. And on any drive that has the "SMART details" option, check the "Submit to BitFlock" option, and post the ID it generates here.

And in either case, could you install the latest public beta build and see if that helps?

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3103_BETA.exe

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWhs2/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3103_BETA.wssx

Thanks

So first I did added a new SSD and Scanner's SMART window is empty here too  :(

The first SSD Sandisk Extreme II is plugged into Intel's mobo port and the second Sandisk Extreme Pro into M1115.

I have made a video that shows what Scanner, Direct IO Test are showing. I have also included a Hard Disk Sentinel view that seems to read SMART without  issue.

https://youtu.be/Yh6yDzXk5nM

This is for both of the drives, and neither show SMART data in any circumstance?

If so, could you open the "SMART details" window, check the "Submit to BitFlock" option, and post the ID it generates here.

Hi Christopher.

I have attached some screenshots to this post. With the Direct I/O Test tool all SMART values are read and shown (WMI and direct I/O) without checking the unsafe I/O option. The scanner shows an empty dialog. I have uploaded the data to BitFlock (see screenshot for ID). The drive is attached directly to a SATA-port on the mainboard. I have also attached a Samsung 850 Pro to a port on the mainboard and this one shows all values with no problems.

I have not tried the beta yet, but will do that as soon as possible. If you need  more information, please let me know.

post-1852-0-62765900-1443425682_thumb.png

post-1852-0-04172700-1443425685_thumb.png

post-1852-0-48876000-1443425685_thumb.png

post-1852-0-99348100-1443425685_thumb.png

Thank you guys from grabbing the info. 

I've submitted the issue and info to Alex (the developer), and he'll take a look at it soon (I suspect it maybe a simple issue).

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/20806

However, please do install the beta version (2.5.2.3103). There are a few fixes in it in regards to how SMART data is handled, and it may fix the issues you are seeing (specifically). 

and mine :

Both SSD (Sandisk Extreme II and Sandisk Extreme Pro) have same ID : RQKIA4F2

Yeah, sorry to not specify, but the ID is for all the devices in the system. It grabs the SMART data and other information about the disks and submits them to BitFlock. 

Hi Christopher.

I have installted the Beta of the scanner and it just went crazy! I remember that I have installed it before and removed it for that reason. Take a look at the screenshot. It reports sector errors for a couple of hard drives and DrivePool starts to evacuate the drives. The previous version did not report any errors even after multiple scans. I don't know what is going on, but I need to remove the beta to keep the system save.

post-1852-0-23560300-1443465689_thumb.jpg

PS: As you can see the "damaged" drives are connected to a RAID controller, but are configured as single disks. One of the connected drives does not seem to be affected. I also did a fresh reinstallation of the Scanner Beta, but it did not change. Scanner is still seen damaged sectors and while scanning on drive (see screenshot) and doing this very, very slowly, the number of unreadable sectors increases.

post-1852-0-20560800-1443467912_thumb.jpg

Hi Christopher.

I have installted the Beta of the scanner and it just went crazy! I remember that I have installed it before and removed it for that reason. Take a look at the screenshot. It reports sector errors for a couple of hard drives and DrivePool starts to evacuate the drives. The previous version did not report any errors even after multiple scans. I don't know what is going on, but I need to remove the beta to keep the system save.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

PS: As you can see the "damaged" drives are connected to a RAID controller, but are configured as single disks. One of the connected drives does not seem to be affected. I also did a fresh reinstallation of the Scanner Beta, but it did not change. Scanner is still seen damaged sectors and while scanning on drive (see screenshot) and doing this very, very slowly, the number of unreadable sectors increases.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

I'm not sure why it would be doing that. But clearly, it's erroring out during the surface scan. My guess is that the way it's reading it must have changed and isn't compatible with the RAID controller.

It's a 3Ware 9650 card, correct? 

To clarify, this is only happening to drives on the RAID controller, correct?

And only happening to some of the disks? If so, could you right click on one of the disks and run a "burst test" and see if that completes fine.

And do you know specifically what build this started with?

I hate to ask, but if you could isolate which build this started with, that would greatly help to identify what is causing the issue.

And you can find all the builds here: http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/

Hi Christopher.

Ok. I have uninstalled the scanner completely, going to the registry and the folders on the system drives. After installing the latest beta the scanner now seems to work without reporting the drive errors. So I am not sure what was happening there, but maybe there was a problem with an older installation. Anyway, we can get back to the initial problem. Unfortunately the smart data is still not showing in the scanner window.

Update:

The problem with the error report and damaged disk remains. It does not show immediately a damaged drive, but as soon as you start a surface scan, damaged sectors are found. I have tried it only with one the drive connected to the controller. I have also found out that with scanner versions up to 2.5.2.3078 BETA the surface scan is ok. Version 2.5.2.3079_BETA shows errors on the first sectors scanned. Both versions are from February 15th this year. Going back to 2.5.2.3078 beta everything scans normally withour errors.

Hopefully you will be able to find the bug.

Okay, so build 3079 DOESN'T work properly, but 3078 does?

If that's the case ...

This is the specific issue:

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/13478

* [issue #13478] Use the sector count reported by IDENTIFY if the sector count reported by Windows is smaller.

I've simulated the issue locally and confirmed that the fix is effective

If you could confirm that, and what controller card you're using (as well as get the device ID from Device Manager (run "devmgmt.msc")), I'll flag the issue for Alex and let him know.

Hi Christopher.

That is correct. Version 3078 works properly. I am using the AMCC 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML controller card, which is listed in Windows 10 as "LSI 3ware 9650SE SATA RAID Controller" and has the Hardware ID "PCI\VEN_13C1&DEV_1004&SUBSYS_100413C1&REV_01".

Hi Christopher.

That is correct. Version 3078 works properly. I am using the AMCC 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML controller card, which is listed in Windows 10 as "LSI 3ware 9650SE SATA RAID Controller" and has the Hardware ID "PCI\VEN_13C1&DEV_1004&SUBSYS_100413C1&REV_01".

Thank you.

I've flagged this issue for Alex (the Developer) and he'll look into it soon.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/20808

Hi Christopher.

Could you grab the BitFlock ID from the system?

Open the SMART details on any of the disks (in stablebit scanner), and check the "Submit to bitflock" option. Post the ID it generates here.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're still seeing the issue, could you upgrade to the latest beta build?

Additionally, you'll need to enable an Advanced setting to get this working properly. 

Click on the Settings button in the toolbar and select Scanner Settings. Enable the Show advanced settings and information option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.

Click on Settings, and select the new Advanced Settings and information option. Open the Configuration Properties tab. You will find a list of all the settings here, organized into section. Find the "DirectIO" section, and check the "DoNotCorrectSize" option.  You'll need to reboot the system after doing this (or restart the service).  

Regards

Well, glad to hear about the scan errors being fixed!

As for the SMART data, I've recreated the issue, and bumped it up:

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/20853

In the meanwhile, could you test a couple of things, just in case:

Click on the Settings button in the toolbar and select Scanner Settings. Enable the Show advanced settings and information option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.
Click on Settings, and select the new Advanced Settings and information option. Open the Configuration Properties tab.
Find the "Smart" section and check the "NoWmi" option. 

Reboot the machine and see if that helps. 

If not, try doing the same with the "Unsafe" option in the "DirectIO" section (and reboot).

If neither help, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we got on our hands on a WD drive that was having the scan issues. It looks like it was more than that, and it should hopefully correct some of the SMART issues as well. 

If you could download the latest beta build, and see if that helps?

And please do disable the "DoNotCorrectSize" option if you install the previous (3108) build (there is a performance hit to the scan with this setting enabled).