Using teamviewer to remote removes drive from pool?

Chrissp26

Question

Something very odd is happening to one of my pools. I have two pools one for movies, music and books etc and the other for photos and videos. The photos and videos pool is duplicated and consists of two 3TB drives of the same make/model etc.

Everything is fine, unless I remotely connect to the server using TeamViewer or RDP at which point one of the drives (F:/) disappears from the photos and videos pool. The only way I can bring the drive back online is by shutting the server down and turning it back on again (a restart doesn't work).

This happens when I remote onto the server with TeamViewer or the windows RDP client app and it usually happens the instant the connection is established as I get an email alert notifying me of the missing drive.

My server is a custom build running Windows 8.1. 

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Chris

8 answers to this question

I've had a look back through the logs and in the system section I get a build up of the following warnings (from first to last) which leads to an error after logging in with teamviewer:

Audit Success: Special privileges assigned to new logon. (This was logged in the security log and was my logon with teamviewer).

WARNING: A pointer device did not report a valid unit of angular measurement.

WARNING: A pointer device reported a bad angular physical range.

WARNING: A pointer device reported a bad angular logical range.

WARNING: A pointer device did not report a valid unit of angular measurement.

WARNING: Request to physical disk 2 is timed out.

WARNING: Disk 8 has been surprise removed.

ERROR: The device, \Device\Harddisk8\DR8, is not ready for access yet. (This repeats 97 times over 8 seconds )

WARNING: Physical disk 2 is plugged out.

This only happens when teamViewer connects? 

If so, is TeamViewer sharing disks with the destination system? If so, that may be the issue.

Otherwise, could you enable logging and reproduce the issue?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It happens when I RDP onto the server as well with the remote desktop application. I hadn't realised as I usually use TeamViewer. I shall look at uploading a log for you.

This only happens when teamViewer connects? 

If so, is TeamViewer sharing disks with the destination system? If so, that may be the issue.

Otherwise, could you enable logging and reproduce the issue?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

I've been through the logs and the exception is generated as a warning and reads as:

DrivePool.Service.exe Warning 0 [CoveFsPool]   pool part 1: '\Device\HarddiskVolume2\PoolPart.10a5cdb1-0797-46ef-90af-6530da1b9f30\' 2016-01-14 09:30:25Z 1.84665E+11

DrivePool.Service.exe Warning 0 [CoveFsPool] Incomplete file found: '\' (ExpectedNumberOfCopies=2, Found=1) 2016-01-14 09:30:25Z 1.84665E+11

Duplication is enabled on that pool. Is there a way to identify the incomplete file?

Okay, thank you for grabbing the files.  They don't show much (though the "Incomplete file found" issue is weird), but I've flagged them for Alex (the developer).

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/23903

And on the system in question, could you open "Disk Management" (run "diskmgmt.msc").

Specifically, could you check to see which disks are disk 2 and disk 8? 

Also, when this happens, could you see if the disk is marked as offline? 

Also, RDP has a disk/card sharing option, please manually disable it. 
If TeamViewer has a similar option, disable it as well.

This would be on the client you're connecting with. 

Alex has taken a look at this, and ... unfortunately hasn't found anything that indicates the cause here.

It's definitely not being caused by DrivePool specifically.  

As for the imcomplete file found issue, that's completely normal when there is a missing disk. So in your case, it's normal.

So, this may be related to something that is installed on the system.

How is this disk connected? What controller, specifically (if you have StableBit Scanner installed, right click on the column headers and select "By Controller", and this will list what controller each disk is attached to).

Also, do you have any antivirus, backup or disk tools installed on the system?

And could you do this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

Additionally, it may be worth running "chkdsk c: /r", and "sfc /scannow" on the system. As well as run a memory test. 

After that, it may be worth running "msconfig" and seeing if there is anything that you don't recognize there. 

The reason is that it is absolutely bizarre that any of the disks are being knocked offline when you connect to the system. It shouldn't be happening at all. And I'm not sure why it's happening, and the file system logs don't indicate why it's occurring.