Same Disks Pooled/Non-Pooled

WildGig

Question

Hi

I am new to DrivePool, having just re-built my WHS V1 Server into a Win10 Server.  One the whole the experience some far has been good, without issue, except one weird minor irritant. 

As you can see from the attached screen cap, the pool looks fine, but 4 of the 5 disks also appear in the non-pooled area - all of each disk is assigned to the pool.  The pool works fine so there is no real issue, it's just annoying.

Any suggestions?

Cheers​

post-2139-0-82904200-1441954944_thumb.png

4 answers to this question

That's definitely odd.

Upgrading to the latest beta build may help with this:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.639_x64_BETA.exe

Otherwise, resetting the settings will most likely fix it:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2299585B

(the pooled data, and the duplication settings will remain intact, but the balancing settings will be reset).

However, if upgrading didn't help, would you mind grabbing a few things before you reset the data?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Error_Reports

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Service_Memory_Dump

For what it's worth, if it's worth it, this happened to me last night when I moved my OS to a new drive.

When windows booted up the new drive it assigned a new drive letter to one of my pooled drives ("D") and made it "L".

DrivePool showed what was formally known as "D" in my pooled disks list (and still referred to it as D) but also "L" in the non-pooled disks section. I subsequently changed the drive letter of the new partition back to "D" and ended up with it in both the pooled and non-pooled section, with the exact same name.

I seem to remember when looking at my file and folder placement rules it never showed the "D" partition by name though, and just listed "? (xxx GB") - the amount of free space was correct for the D drive but the question mark was not.

I also tried to remove the "D" partition that was in my pool (the disk is being replaced) and DrivePool quite worryingly completed the removal procedure within a matter of seconds (I hadn't selected the option for quick removal) and didn't move a single thing, so I'm having to manually re-import data from that disk into my pool.

A similar issue has happened to me in the past when drives get moved between SATA ports, their drive letters changed etc and I end up with "duplicate" drives in my pool. It makes me very, very cautious of doing this - I'm assuming DrivePool should be able to cope with moving disks around, given it must use their serial number rather than drive letter for identifying them?

For what it's worth, if it's worth it, this happened to me last night when I moved my OS to a new drive.

When windows booted up the new drive it assigned a new drive letter to one of my pooled drives ("D") and made it "L".

DrivePool showed what was formally known as "D" in my pooled disks list (and still referred to it as D) but also "L" in the non-pooled disks section. I subsequently changed the drive letter of the new partition back to "D" and ended up with it in both the pooled and non-pooled section, with the exact same name.

I seem to remember when looking at my file and folder placement rules it never showed the "D" partition by name though, and just listed "? (xxx GB") - the amount of free space was correct for the D drive but the question mark was not.

I also tried to remove the "D" partition that was in my pool (the disk is being replaced) and DrivePool quite worryingly completed the removal procedure within a matter of seconds (I hadn't selected the option for quick removal) and didn't move a single thing, so I'm having to manually re-import data from that disk into my pool.

A similar issue has happened to me in the past when drives get moved between SATA ports, their drive letters changed etc and I end up with "duplicate" drives in my pool. It makes me very, very cautious of doing this - I'm assuming DrivePool should be able to cope with moving disks around, given it must use their serial number rather than drive letter for identifying them?

Did you clone the system drive, or reinstall it?

And could you get the same stuff as I've listed above?

And specifically, StableBit DrivePool uses the Volume IDs (which should be unique) to access the pooled disks.

Did you clone the system drive, or reinstall it?

And could you get the same stuff as I've listed above?

And specifically, StableBit DrivePool uses the Volume IDs (which should be unique) to access the pooled disks.

I cloned it with Macrium Reflect. I've attached the error files - I'm not sure which one it would be to be honest with you so I've attached them all from that day.

I've now manually re-copied everything missing back so all is good, I only just thought I'd mention it as I came across this thread when trying to figure out what happened to me. I was just a little concerned DrivePool got confused and let me eject a disk without moving any data, and most importantly didn't tell me it hadn't moved anything.

Cheers.

ErrorReports.zip