Photo thumbnails problem

Chris Downs

Question

Hi all.

My photos going back many years are on my nice duplicated drive pool. Recently (a few months, but hard to say as I haven't had much cause to view my photos) I've noticed that it's taking ages to show thumbnails in Windows Explorer (Win7 x64) for images on the pool. I noticed that there is no "thumbs.db" in the image folders - neither in the pool or in the "real" folder locations. It seems to be making the thumbnails over again after a reboot as I can see them appear one at a time upon opening a folder. Once a folder of images has been opened, it's nice and fast if I go back in later, but a reboot seems to lose the thumbnails somehow.

I have tried wiping all thumbnails using disk cleanup, and then going into each image folder with the view set to "large icons" to rebuild the thumbnails - no help.

I also then wiped thumbnails again and tried manually going in to every photo folder from the disk mount points (outside the pool) and viewing each folder with the view set to "large icons" to rebuild the thumbnails. This worked for a short time, but after a reboot it was back to being very slow again.

What's happening to the thumbnails? Anyone else get this? It doesn't happen on non-pooled drives either.

Identical 1TB drives in my pool of 5 disks (Seagate barracuda) mounted internally connected to the motherboard SATA ports (6Gbps) - Scanner reports no drive faults. My OS is on an SSD.

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

That's .... very odd.

Could you double check the settings for the system, and make sure it's set to generate thumbnails properlY?

http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-explorer-doesnt-show-thumbnail-previews-in-windows-vista-and-7/

And no, StableBit DRivePool shouldn't be doing anything to affect this ability. 

If you could do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Boot_Time_Log_Collection

(enable the boot logging, reboot, and grab the files).

And then enable file system logging, reboot and grab the files:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Ok thanks. I am trying one last thing. Currently at step 4 at the time of posting.

1) Disable thumbnails

2) Search for and delete any "thumbs.db" files (there were some)

3) Re-enable thumbnails (after reboot)

4) Defrag/consolidate individual disks in the drivepool (all were 1-2% except the 5th one which was 4%)

5) Open photo folders to rebuild thumbnails - will take a while...

6) Reboot and check thumbnails work without rebuilding

If the above doesn't work I'll get those logs uploaded.