Folder Duplication

y2kse

Question

Is it be possible to have the folder structure of the DrivePool replicated to all the member drives independently of which physical drive the files are landed?  

I just got done setting up a Windows Server Backup job on my new 2012 R2 Essentials system.  I want to backup certain folders from the pooled drive, so I included those folders from the physical drives.  This allows seamless use of backup rotation, so I can always keep one backup offsite.  The caveat with this approach is that not all of the folders are present on all of the drives, so I will need to remember to occasionally check the backup job to include any of these folders that get added to additional drives.

11 answers to this question

Well, if you're using version 2.X here, you could you use the "File Placement Rules" to lock which drives the folder contents end up on. That way, you can be sure that the you just need to backup the folders from this disk.

Aside from that, I'm not sure if there is a good way to do this.

Any thoughts as to why I continue to see these warnings in the System Log?

"The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: C:\drivepool\WX21D1526VXY, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume10.

(The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device.)"

"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk5\DR5 during a paging operation."

I intermittently get them on all the drives in the pool.  Occasionally, the Client Backup Service will fall due to a corrupt file and (when I had Shadow Copies enabled on them) VSS failures on the physical drives.  I currently have 2.1.1.561 installed.

Well, if you're using version 2.X here, you could you use the "File Placement Rules" to lock which drives the folder contents end up on. That way, you can be sure that the you just need to backup the folders from this disk.

Aside from that, I'm not sure if there is a good way to do this.

If I put rules in place, will it move existing files around to meet those rules or does it only apply to new files?

The rules will apply to existing files, as well as new files.

Once you've saved the settings, it will trigger a balancing pass and attempt to move the files around, as much as possible. 

Any thoughts as to why I continue to see these warnings in the System Log?

"The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: C:\drivepool\WX21D1526VXY, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume10.

(The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device.)"

"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk5\DR5 during a paging operation."

I intermittently get them on all the drives in the pool.  Occasionally, the Client Backup Service will fall due to a corrupt file and (when I had Shadow Copies enabled on them) VSS failures on the physical drives.  I currently have 2.1.1.561 installed.

As for the errors, if you have a drive that is dropping out frequently, has been physically disconnected (pulled), or the like, it could cause this.

Though, StableBit Scanner's burst test option may be a good idea to run on the drive in question. If it detects an issue, .....

The drives aren't disconnecting or unmounting and the error isn't occurring on any single drive; the event log messages move around from drive to drive.  Chkdsk verification passes on them all.  Since my last post, I removed two drives from the pool, set up an RAID1 array using the onboard Intel RSTe and moved all the contents on the Drivepool to it.  After the move completed, there were multiple files left on each physical drive in the pool (all were also successfully "moved" to the RAID1 volume), as well some folders that gave "Access Denied" errors.  During RAID initialization (took about 30 hours) and the file copy (another 12-14 hours), no other errors were logged.

Just the Intel RSTe controller.  This is the system board I'm using.  All 6x onboard SATA ports are used for the WD Reds.  I have a Plextor M6e PCIe SSD as a boot/system drive.  I would remove from the pool a drive that was given in the event log, find a few files/folders left over (like described above), reformat the drive, re-add the drive to the pool and it would be fine for a day or two.  Then the errors would start on another drive.  I eventually cycled all the way through every drive.  The last thing that I tried was to disable the power timer on the drives using wdidle3.  That was the thing that I thought finally fixed it, but the errors came back after a few days.  I think that at one point I also did drop and recreate the pool.

Ah, in that case ... that's really, really odd.

I actually have that exact motherboard, and StableBit DrivePool running on it. Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials as well (though I never did set up a backup for it, as it is/was a test machine). 

Just curious, did you use the Intel RSTe drivers from ASRock RACK's site? And if so, what mode were the drives in (IDE/AHCI/RAID)?