WHS 2011 - should I go with Drivepool 2.x ?

benmmellor

Question

I'm building a new machine - HP Microserver, booting from the stock 250GB drive and using 4x 2TB drives for my pool.

I've bought and installed v1.3.3.7563 but noticed that v2.x can be used on WHS 2011 - should I removed the version I've installed and go for v2.x instead?

Can I migrate versions without wiping all the data on the disks in the pool at the moment? I've seen that I have to remove the current version completely and install v2.x as a new install.

My main criteria for this is to maximise my space from the 4 drives - showing 7.28TB in the pool - but critical data will be sync'd to my external USB chassis for backup purposes. Not overly bothered about the 2TB limit in WHS2011.

2 answers to this question

I'm using the latest 2x beta version on whs2011 and no problem. I like it with a copy as a remote on a client machine that I administer my server from. The remote drive pool client is much faster checking on the pool than the connector or remote desktop which you would have to use the latter because the 2x versions does not integrate with the dashboard. I also have been using tightvnc with the mirror driver for remote access got to love the gui interface. One thing on my wish list is the Scanner interface integrated to the remote drive pool client but not if it slows it down. Then we would have a fast access to both without much fussing around.