Best Method to Reset File Permissions on NTFS Pool After OS Reinstall

bzowk

Question

Hey Guys - 

I've been using DrivePool for over a year now after migrating from DriveBender and really enjoy it.  A few weeks ago, I had some issues with my workstation where I ended up having to perform an OS reinstall.  When the issues weren't resolved, I performed yet another OS reinstall and also went from Windows 8.1 x64 Ent to Windows 10 x64 Ent.

As my OS has always been on a dedicated, non-pooled SSD; I have removed the D: drive letter Windows assigns to a disk, installed DrivePool, and restored (automatically) the pool after both OS installations.  This seemed to work fine and everything seemed intact.  Even though it may be more of a Windows issue, I'm having an issue with permissions on many of the files on my pool, however.

I've found that when trying to delete / rename / edit some files, I am unable to as old NTFS permissions are stil tied to them.  When viewing NTFS permissions, there is an "Account Unknown" with a SID in one of the User spots as shown below.  Mostly, they are inherited from parent folders, it seems.

post-1973-0-04735400-1441406034_thumb.png

The Question

What's the best method / command to resolve these unknown accounts and somewhat "reset" security for all of the pool's files/folders after an OS reinstall?

System Specifications

Drive Pool (D:\)

- Total Size: 28.4tb / Free Space: 2.07tb

- x8 Standard SATA Drives (3tb-4tb each)

- x1 Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD (used with SSD Optimizer plugin)

- Stablebit Drivepool 2.1.1.561 / SSD Optimizer Plugin 1.0.2.3

Screenshot of entire pool at end of post

Non Pooled Disks

- (C:\) x1 Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256gb / OS & App Installs

- (D:\) x1 Hybrid SSD/SATA Drive / App & Game Installs

- (Y:\) x1 24gb partition dedicated to paging file (Partitioned off of non-pooled 850 Pro)  Needed?  Probably not  :)

Primary Specs

- Intel i7-3770k CPU / 16gb RAM

- Nvidia GeForce 660

- Windows 10 x64 Enterprise

Bonus Questions

I'm purchasing a new system soon and will be migrating the pool over.  As much as I'd prefer to have all the hardware in a NAS, they are just too expensive for one with as many bays as I require to hold everything.  Two questions:

- Since I'm not only introducing the pool to a new OS, but also new hardware, is there anything beyond what i must do after an OS reinstall which needs to be done?

- I'd like to split my pool and only have a small one in my workstation instead of it housing so many disks.  Does anyone have a suggestion (other than a NAS) for the best way I can mount and access 6-7 disks other than all in my current workstation?  Almost all data needs to be available 24/7

Well, I think that's it - Thanks for taking the time to read!

post-1973-0-75550800-1441406385_thumb.png

3 answers to this question

The unknown accounts (SID's) are the old user accounts, as these are randomly generated during account creation and are "unique".  

They're harmless, and can be left intact without adversely affecting the system.

The simplest way, is to grab this file:

http://dl.covecube.com/WssTroubleshoot/Release/download/Wss.Troubleshoot_1.0.0.165.exe

Run this on the system, and select the "Reset NTFS permissions on the pool" option. This will wipe out all of the permissions and set them back to "stock" settings. 

Otherwise, you can manually remove them at the parent folder and re-apply. But for the most part, they should be fine. 

Answer for Bonus Question:

If you're switching hardware, then you'll want to deactivate the license on the old system prior to moving over. Once you've done that, you'll be able to activate the license on the new system, without any issues (though if you do run into any, contact us hat https://stablebit.com/Contact). 

As for splitting the pool, I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.

However, if you want remove some of the disks form the system but still have access to them, then external enclosures may be the way you want to go.  And if you do that, you want to look into eSATA (USB is okay for short usage, but not longer term).

As for the specific hardware, IcyDock or Orico (I think it was), are pretty decent brands. As for eSATA controller cards, ASMedia's ASM1061 chipset is a very nice one. Otherwise, get a HighPoint RocketRAID card, that has an external port or two (Such as the 2722 which can host 8 eSATA enclosures)

thats nice.. I used 'take ownership'.  it took a while to run, but it freed up any protections too. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

I don't do it often enough, I hate stuff in my context menu... right click -> properties -> security tab -> advanced button... (aka the manual way).  And you can see the progress, and change ownership and permissions here.

But the tool does all of that (change ownership and reset permissions).