Drivepool complains of drive missing on startup

Jasper

Question

7 answers to this question

On system startup?

If so, it could be an issue with your controller, actually. (or if  these are USB drives, it could be talking long enough).

Worse case, you could use "services.msc" to change the start up type for the "StableBit DrivePool Service" to "Automatic (Delayed)". By doing this, instead of starting the service (which is what checks for this) right away, it starts the service a couple of minutes later. 

Thanks. After giving it some thought I realized I had had this problem before and you told me to reset all settings. I'm in the process of doing that as I type. Hopefully this will once again fix it. I had to move the pool from the builtin LSI 2008 controller on the Supermicro X8DT6-F to a IBM Megaraid 1015 due to suspected flakiness after a MB swap. The 1015 is the same controller the pool was previously on and everything was perfect. Hopefully I'm back to where I was.

All my troubles started when I decided to upgrade the MB. New (used SM X8DT6-F from eBay) turned out to be have a flakey builtin SAS controller. Even after replacing it with the 1015 I still had issues like IPMI reported no sensors present. SD5 would not run, etc. I finally cried uncle and boxed it back up to return to sender. Put the old board (SM X8DTE-F) back in along with the 1015 and all is well again. I like the way you can now transfer the DrivePool license easily from one machine to another, this saved me some additional grief. Anyway, ordeal over.  :) 

BTW : I have 3 IBM 1015's that I've been running for years. They are rock solid and have never given me the first problem. All 3 are flashed to IT mode.

Definitely sounds like you got a bad board, in general. Not just the SAS controller, but the entire thing.  And I'm sorry to hear that.

As for the license, since we've been seeing a lot of upgrades, we've introduced some flexibility in the activation system. We're glad that it's helped you out, and it's definitely signfiicantly reduced the number of licensing tickets we see. So it's definitely working. ;)

But yeah, the IBM ServeRAID cards are absolutely fantastic, and I definitely highly recommend them.  I was using 3 in IT mode, but now, I'm just using 1 (in IR mode) with a SAS Expander card.  

The bus that the card uses (PCI-e 2.0 8x) can max 34 drives at 120MB/s in theory. I've seen 16 drive saturated on my single controller at the same time (which is frankly, amazing and wonderful to see).