Disabling Automatic Balancing...?

eduncan911

Question

Under the Balancing options of a Pool, on the first Settings tab there is a section for Automatic Balancing.

What happens if I select "Do not balance automatically"?  When would the drives be balanced again?

My main concern is Duplicated folders: when are the files duplicated if Automatic Balancing is disabled?

I understand how the balancers work and how I can trigger this with other events.  

^- TL;DR;

I would like to limit the accessing of my disk as much as possible.  

I have:

• Changed Scanner to scan only twice a week (Mon and Thurs mornings).
    • This is the ONLY regularly scheduled software that wakes up the drives.
  • I have setup Plex Media Server to never scan (just monitors disk activity).
  • I have nothing else installed, and nothing else constantly accessing the disks.

But, I notice the drives are still spun up in the early morning - every morning.  I found where i have DrivePool configured to for Automatic balancing every day at 5 AM.  

I am suspecting this is spinning up the drives at 5 AM?

Thanks!

-E

PS, I love the ability to write my own balancer plugins in .NET.  I just haven't needed to with the great balances already available (and maybe 1 or 2 I added a long time ago).  Thank you!

7 answers to this question

If you select the "Do not balance automatically", then it depends on the other settings. Some balancers can trigger a balancing pass (for instance, the StableBit Scanner balancer). 

however, if do have the balancing setting set to balance at a specific time, it would wake up the disks at that time (or at least the disks it needs to).

Also, do you have StableBit Scanner installed?

Yep, I have StableBit Scanner and purchased/working.

Mentioned it in the OP that I have it set to scan only twice a week, on Mon and Thurs mornings between 3-6 AM (my time).  That is the only scheduled disk access I have that I know of (have closely inspected all other software and packages).

So with this option set to not not balance automatically, when does Duplicate occur?  

What I am thinking of doing is setting it to not balance automatically and configuring one or more of the Balancer plugins to triggit when the disk is X % full.  

My only concern is, when does Duplication occur if I copy files into a folder that needs to be duplicated.

Does it duplicate ONLY during Balancing?

Unless you changed the setting, duplication occurs in "real time". Meaning when you create and modify files, "all necessary copies" are created in parallel.  So all of the necessary disks are accessed when that occurs. 

You can disable that, and then a duplication pass will occur once a day (default for 1AM IIRC, can be changed though). The downside is that it will skip files that are in use.

And duplication and balancing are handled separately, for the most part.

Ok, I want REAL-TIME.  That's not a question!

Humm... I want to be careful not to disable it than.  

Could you provide us with some details on how to disable it (or what to watch out for that will disable it if a certain option is set)?

Sorry for all the questions...

The option is in "Pool Options", under "Performance".  It should be checked. And you can toggle the state there.

As for if it's not enabled, you may see the pool status (at the bottom of the window) change. And if that happens, it should have a button to run a duplication pass.