Migrate existing drives into a new drive pool

hsiktas

Question

Hello,

I just want to check if the following workflow for my HDD migration is possible:

• Existing drives 1 and 2 are mounted as D:\ and E:\
  • Add new pool under F:\ and add drives 1 and 2 to the pool
  • Move all files from D:\ and E:\ to F:\
  • Unmount D:\ and E:\
  • Permanently remount F:\ as D:\

Currently I still have some stuff installed on D:\ and I just want to avoid reinstalling everything. Is this workflow possible?

And can I add additional drives and assign them to the drive pool without giving them any traditional driver letter?

7 answers to this question

Yes, basically. But I have a better solution for you here.

Seed the pool:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

This moves the contents into the Pool very quickly (half an hour or so, as opposed to the average of 1 hour per TB). 

This will also retain the same folder layout on the pool as you had on the drive (which may make the process much simpler for you, in the long run).

Once you've done that, you can reassign the drive letters (or do that before). StableBit DrivePool doesn't require drive letters for the pooled disks at all (as we use the "Volume ID" to access the drive).  So you can remove them. But I would recommend mounting the drives to a folder path instead (that way, they're still easily accessible and you can run maintenance tasks on them easily).

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624

And absolutely no issue with changing the Pool drive's letter. 

Hi,

I'm investigating using the suggested shortcut method for migrating already fulled drives into the pool.  

But regarding step #3 on this FAQ:  http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2299585B

...when I click the gear icon, the only options I see are:  Notifications, Allow Remote Control, Check for New Versions, and Manage License...

I do not see an option for, "Troubleshooting" menu, and select "Reset all settings..."  I also don't have a Start Menu item since that's for v2.2 users.  Am I forced to use the "Alternative Steps" which are intended for when the UI has crashed and/or is completely inaccessible?

Running DrivePool v2.0.0.420 on Server2012R2 Essentials. 

Hi,

I'm investigating using the suggested shortcut method for migrating already fulled drives into the pool.  

But regarding step #3 on this FAQ:  http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2299585B

...when I click the gear icon, the only options I see are:  Notifications, Allow Remote Control, Check for New Versions, and Manage License...

I do not see an option for, "Troubleshooting" menu, and select "Reset all settings..."  I also don't have a Start Menu item since that's for v2.2 users.  Am I forced to use the "Alternative Steps" which are intended for when the UI has crashed and/or is completely inaccessible?

Running DrivePool v2.0.0.420 on Server2012R2 Essentials. 

For the 420 build, yes, you'd need to use the alternative steps.

However, I'd recommend upgrading to the 2.1.1.561 version (or the public beta version), as there are a lot of improvements and bug fixes  in that.

For the 420 build, yes, you'd need to use the alternative steps.

However, I'd recommend upgrading to the 2.1.1.561 version (or the public beta version), as there are a lot of improvements and bug fixes  in that.

Thx.  I thought so but I wasn't sure.  If you read the FAQ, it reads as if it applies specifically to 2.0.x - 2.1.x because step #2 specifically calls out an exception for, "If you're using version 2.2 or higher...", then follow these other steps... meaning the overall FAQ applies to 2.0.0.240.

Regarding upgrading to the current release, are there ANY known stability issues that were introduced?  I haven't had a single error, exception, or problem with build 420 in over a yr of 24/7 use.  I generally find that upgrading to current builds when you don't have any issues usually RESULTS in issues.  Just scanning the forums, I see multiple posts regarding BSOD's, shutdown/startup errors, etc... with the current version.  So, does 420 have any CRITICAL flaws that were addressed in the later builds, like data corruption issues, or is it just new features & "nice-to-haves" & non-critical bug fixes (ie.. UI bug fixes)?  I don't need new features.  I just need reliable storage.  Just want to avoid introducing new problems if I upgrade.

The instructions were written/updated well after the 2.1 version was released.  The 2.1 version introduced the troubleshooting menu, and somewhere in the 2.2 betas, that was "hidden" from easy access. 

As for issues, I'm not aware of any that were specifically introduced.  

But if you want to glance at the changelog, there are a LOT of fixes. Some minor, some not so minor. 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/changes.txt

Though, one of the major things added is the "File Placement Rules". 

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=File%20Placement

The 2.2 public beta does include some serious fixes (such as folders getting locked when they're deleted ... and stuck that way till you reboot the system or disconnect and reconnect the affected disks), and a lot of lower level behavior fixes.  As well as Windows 10 support.