SATA card

~Slyfox

Question

Hi all, sorry for my basic question.  I have a mobo with 6 SATA ports and a PCIe card with 4 additional.  I would like to have a few more ports, but don't see any cards that have more than 4.  Is this true?  If so what are my best alternatives?  Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Sorry I should have studied this forum more.  This post has a lot of great information:  http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1304-new-hba-storage-controller-i-need-some-advice-card-cables/    Christopher, please feel free to close this thread.  Thank you.

Edited by ~Slyfox

3 answers to this question

Not a problem at all.

However, as soon as you want more than 4 ports, you pretty much immediately jump to SAS cards, and by "jump", I'm referring to the price as well.

If you want a cheap card, HighPoint RocketRAID cards are decent, and the cheaper end (the 2720SGL gets you 8 SATA connectors), and that's usually around $150 or so.  After that, it really jumps up in price.

I would for sure stay away from the 2720SGL, and look at HightPoint with a jaded eye. Do a check on newegg - yes, some of the users complaints are bs, but that many for the same reasons?

My experience with HighPoint has been one decent card without issues out of 5, a couple were literally worthless. I wouldn't touch the 2720SGL with a ten foot pole.

IMHO the best product they ever made was the on board minimal hardware mostly software RAID back in the Windows 98 / 2000 era. They popularized the trend that is still here. Rock solid and came on the motherboard. Everything since has been blah or crap.Don't ever try to deal with support, even if you can reach them. Just search. I never found a happy story.

I would for sure stay away from the 2720SGL, and look at HightPoint with a jaded eye. Do a check on newegg - yes, some of the users complaints are bs, but that many for the same reasons?

My experience with HighPoint has been one decent card without issues out of 5, a couple were literally worthless. I wouldn't touch the 2720SGL with a ten foot pole.

IMHO the best product they ever made was the on board minimal hardware mostly software RAID back in the Windows 98 / 2000 era. They popularized the trend that is still here. Rock solid and came on the motherboard. Everything since has been blah or crap.Don't ever try to deal with support, even if you can reach them. Just search. I never found a happy story.

Well, I've used a HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL, specifically.  Aside from the quality of disks I was using, it was rock solid. 

But they are just rebranding Marvell chipsets, and installing customized firmware (which rely on proprietary commands for stuff like SMART).

But you're right, if you're going to have a lot of drives, getting something like an LSI card is a much, much, much better investment.