Correct version?

Max

Question

Apologies if this is a silly question, but what is the correct version of CloudDrive to be using? I'm still using 1.0.0.283 as it's the version linked to on the main site, but after reading a few threads I noticed that you're all the way up to 1.0.0.364.

So should I download the latest version to see if it improves things, or are the subsequent builds very experimental?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

The 1.0.0.283 is the public beta build. All other builds are internal beta builds. The difference is that the public beta build is better tested, and usually more stable. However, the internal builds address specific issues, or include new features/code. 

Unless you have a specific issue addressed by one of the internal betas (which are listed in the changes.txt file), staying on the public beta build is the best bet.

However, if you're having issues with the system hanging, there is a cache/deadlock issue that we are working on resolving. The later builds do a lot better at handling it, but we're still seeing some weird behavior.

I think I was getting deadlocks. I've left it running on a headless server for some time and come back to find one of the cloud drives had disappeared. DrivePool showed it as "clouddrivefs__" or something similar, so I restarted the machine. I came back to it the next day to see if it fixed it, but this time another cloud drive had done the same so 2 of my 4 cloud drives were gone. I chose detach on both of the drives and then chose re-attach, and thankfully the drives came back so in the end just a minor annoyance.

I installed the latest internal build earlier for fun and the performance seemed significantly better. I'll leave it running and see how it goes.

It's great to see you're busy working on it and making improvements. I kept checking the main site and the blog and I thought the project was dead! Would definitely love to read a new blog post on what the plans with the public beta are, although I realise you can't totally predict how long some of the complex stuff will take.

Oh and thanks for clearing up the public/internal builds question!

It probably doesn't mean anything but if it helps I just noticed my cloud pool has this warning:

Duplication warnings...mismatched file parts...

Files:

\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid

And just to be clear, this hasn't been caused by installing the latest version, it's probably a hangover from those cloud drives disappearing.

It's possible that you were getting deadlocks. If the entire system was freezing up, or becoming inaccessible, then that's likely the case.

In that case, I would recommend the 1.0.0.370 build. This build should fix all of the deadlock issues. I've tried it and i've not been able to reproduce the issue in it, when I was easily able to before.

64 bit: http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.0.0.370_x64_BETA.exe

32 Bit: http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.0.0.370_x86_BETA.exe

Thanks I've been running 370 for a few days now and the server seems way more responsive and I'm not having the same issues as before where the clouddrive was causing drivepool and scanner services to be extremely slow to start. I'm pretty sure no dead locking going on anymore. Yay!

I was about to say it's 100% solved everything but just now I restarted to install windows updates, and I've had one of my cloud drives lose its letter and go missing from DrivePool again. DrivePool now shows the mysterious COVECUBECloudFsDisk___ .

Now to be fair this time it's my OneDrive cloud drive which I know isn't supported so I'm not complaining! But what's interesting about the situation is that previously I fixed the problem by detaching then reattaching, but because it's got 2gb of data currently uploading it won't let me until it's finished. And because the drive is missing from DrivePool, that pool is now read only and I can't write to it. Because it'll take at least a day to upload (yeah I know my connection sucks, but so does OneDrive!), then that means the pool is out of action for a while.

Would it be possible to get a reattach option that would fix this scenario? Also it would sure speed up the process of detach, then attach and have to reconfigure all of the options for caching.

Thanks I've been running 370 for a few days now and the server seems way more responsive and I'm not having the same issues as before where the clouddrive was causing drivepool and scanner services to be extremely slow to start. I'm pretty sure no dead locking going on anymore. Yay!

I was about to say it's 100% solved everything but just now I restarted to install windows updates, and I've had one of my cloud drives lose its letter and go missing from DrivePool again. DrivePool now shows the mysterious COVECUBECloudFsDisk___ .

Well, I'm glad to hear that as well!

As for the "mysterious" device, that's the device name for the CloudDrive disks.  This what we display if no other information is found about the disk (such as an uninitialized disk). 

Now to be fair this time it's my OneDrive cloud drive which I know isn't supported so I'm not complaining! But what's interesting about the situation is that previously I fixed the problem by detaching then reattaching, but because it's got 2gb of data currently uploading it won't let me until it's finished. And because the drive is missing from DrivePool, that pool is now read only and I can't write to it. Because it'll take at least a day to upload (yeah I know my connection sucks, but so does OneDrive!), then that means the pool is out of action for a while.

Would it be possible to get a reattach option that would fix this scenario? Also it would sure speed up the process of detach, then attach and have to reconfigure all of the options for caching.

Restarting the StableBit CloudDrive Service may help with this, but it may get stuck stopping, while it's waiting to upload.

As for the reattach, you basically want it to remount the drive's info, right?

Also, does the drive still show up with a letter?