Restart and Shutdown hangs in WIndows

Duane Alleman

Question

I have 10 drives in a single pool.  4 of these drives are connected externaly via Sans Digital 4 bay USB 3 enclosure.   I had an 8 bay Esata enclosure also with the same problem.  

Whenever I do a restart or shutdown, it never completes - example: 11 minutes ago I did a restart on the pc and I am still seeing the Restarting blue screen of Windows.  Does the same thing with Shutdown.   I have done a restart before going to work in the morning, and when I return 14 hours later, it is still at the restarting screen.   Same thing with a shutdown.

I have had this happen with Windows 8.1 Pro and I am now in Windows 10 Pro.

PC Build:

Intel i7 

32 gigs ram

samsung 840 evo (c drive - os only)

10 other drives in a pool

I am becoming a little frustrated with this to the point of looking at going back to using my Dell 2950 server with raid 5 setup.  

Any advice?

2 answers to this question

Hi think the first thing I would try is shutdown disconnect all the hard drives restart then reboot then add 1 drive at a time after each reboot until the problem starts. If it doesn't reboot with no drives connected stop the pool service then rebooting if it still stalls then it's not the pooling software causing the problem

If you're seeing BSODs at all, could you upload the dumps to us, so we can take a look at what is going on?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Crashes

Also, have you ran a memory test?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q537229

And I'd recommend running a disk check of the system disk, just in case (chkdsk c: /r)