Something Weird with my pool.

Bigsease30

Question

Hello all. I just upgraded to a much faster server. I reinstalled my OS (Server 2013 R2 Essentials) and got everything hooked back up the way that it was prior. When I went in to look at my pool I noticed that the data on the hard drives was not equal at all. I found a program here on the site called (Disk Space Equalizer) that seemed to be what I was needing. I currently have (8) 2Tb and (2) 4Tb hard drives hooked up and running. I turned off file duplication and let it balance the drives. It took 5 days to balance them all which I thought was really weird. After it was completed I turned duplication back on and so far it is at day 5 and only 81 percent complete. Now I have stats of (Unduplicated 6.02 TB), (Duplicated 1.86 TB) and (Other 6.77 TB) 

Why is the data going to other and not duplicated? Also why in the world is it taking so long? These drives are not being used by the OS for backup or shadow files. How do I fix this?

post-366-0-91623200-1440014412_thumb.jpg

1 answer to this question

Well, first, just to clarify, it looks like you only have 6.77GBs, and not 6.77GBs.   This is very much normal.

As for the usage, by default, StableBit DrivePool places new files on the disk(s) with the most free space (absolute, not percentage) available.

This means that the 2x4TB drives that you have are going to be filled first, and have more content than the 2TB drives in your system. This is completely normal behavior.

And it doesn't automatically equalize the usage afterwards (unless the drive is 90+% full).

You can use the Disk Space Equalizer balancer to equalize the space used between the disks, but you need to make sure that you enable the balancer once it's installed.

As for taking a lot of time, the duplication and balancing operations are ran at a background priority, which means they will take longer than a normal file copy operation.  You can boost this priority temporarily by clicking on the ">>" button next to the "x" at the bottom of the screen (next to the status bar at the bottom).  

However, if you're reduplicating everything, that can take a long time normally.