Share or User permissions not working?

puulima

Question

I'm not sure if this is a WHS 2011 issue or a DrivePool issue?  I just realized that user accounts I've setup are able to access ALL shares - even those those user accounts are setup with "No Access" for various shares.  I've tried resetting the permissions for several users - and under the shares - reset the permissions for the users - no luck.  I even DELETED a user account on WHS and verified the user account on a home PC couldn't access the server at all (when I click on the server in Network - it prompts me for a username/password) - then I added the account back in - and setup the permissions for "no access" to several folders - but when I go back to the PC - ALL shares are accessible again?

I thought I would have to log out on the PC and back in - but when I clicked on the server - I was able to see all shared folders without a PC reboot.

I don't know where else to check/look.  I know my way around PC's - but have not delved into security/permission settings in the OS.

Any ideas?

10 answers to this question

This may be normal.... 

Specifically, Windows Home Server 2011 gives "Everyone" access to the shares. That means all users are able to see the shares.

Also, if these user accounts are Admin accounts on the server, they'll have access to all of the shares, regardless.

From there, it falls back onto NTFS permissions. That should determine exactly who has access to what, and can see the folders and contents.

If you need to "reset" the permissions:

1. Go to the folder that's being shared on the server
  2. Right click on the folder in question, and select "Properties"
  3. Open the Security tab
  4. Click on the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the Window
  5. Click on the "Change Properties" tab, if present
  6. If it has the option, click on "Disable inheritance".  Copy the permissions, if it asks.
  7. Make sure that "SYSTEM", and "Administrators" have full control, and that each user that you want access is explicitly defined in this list.  
  8. Apply the settings, and it should work properly.

If you want, we can set up a remote support session and help you with this (as NTFS permissions can be very confusing if you're not familiar with them.

Sounds like I need to be logged onto the server locally and do this from an Explorer window?  I'm travelling and only have the norm remote access.

Something more odd happened after I deleted the User account and recreated it.  Now that user has access to certain shares that it should have access to - but WITHIN those shares, some folders are blocked?

Example:  I have a Share named "Videos" - within that share are various folders and sub-folders.  The user can access all the way down to the individual Movie folders - but now SOME of the movie folder (specifically seems to be the most recent ones copied onto the server from my laptop when last home) are not accessible.  IE: if you try to open the movie folder - it says the permissions don't allow.

I had to use my username/password to access so my family could watch a movie this evening.  But I don't understand what's going on there?  Will your proposed solution above fix this issues also?

I'm going to use TeamViewer to access my wife's laptop and then RDP into the server and try your suggestion in the meantime.

BTW:  all of the other users (other than me) were just setup using the WHS Dashboard - I don't recall ever being prompted to designate them as ADMIN or OTHER?  Where is that specified?  Seems pointless to use Server User accounts to control access if that actually won't work?  I don't recall ever having this issue before...I've definitely tested it and it worked fine previously...so this seems very odd?

OK - can't follow your steps above as I don't have a "Change Properties" tab...

I did look at 2 movie folders under the SECURITY tab and see a difference.  Not sure how to attach screenshots to these forum posts - but here's what I see.

For a movie folder that the HTPC user account CAN access:

- I see all my Server user ID's in the "Group or User names" listing - with the appropriate permissions.

For a movie folder that the HTPC user CANNOT access:

- the HTPC user name is NOT in the list - instead there is a listing for "Account Unknown".

So somehow the HTPC user is missing for all of these folders?

So is there a way to reset ALL folders?  IE: the access to the SHARED folder is working fine...and even to several levels of SUB-FOLDERS - but NOT to this (lowest) level folder?  

I've never encountered issues like this...but since there are many sub-folders with this issue - seems like I need to do some sort of complete reset?  I would think that if I REMOVE the access to the Shares - and then add it back, that should fix it?  Or is this glitchy situation a result of this shared folder have the file duplication turned on? 

Logged on locally would be best, as you'd be using the admin account for this.

Something more odd happened after I deleted the User account and recreated it.  Now that user has access to certain shares that it should have access to - but WITHIN those shares, some folders are blocked?

It sounds like the sub folders aren't properly inheriting the permissions. 

In this case, you'll want to overwrite them. In this case:

1. Go to the main folder that's being shared on the server
  2. Right click on the folder, and select "Properties"
  3. Open the Security tab
  4. Click on the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the Window
  5. Click on the "Change Properties" tab, if present.
  6. Check the "replace child entries...." option and hit "Okay"

This will reset the permissions on all of the sub folders and items. 

As for the "Account Unknown", that's because of the deleted account, as the ID is no longer associated with an account. 

Worst case here, use the WSS Troubleshooter Utility to reset the permissions on the entire pool, and then reconfigure them on the dashboard.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities

Otherwise, head to http://meetme.so/drashnacovecubeand set up a time that is good for you, and we will set up a remote support session to help get this fixed.

I noted in my initial reply that there is no "Change Properties" tab.  I can't access the PC at home via TeamViewer as its in sleep mode...so will have to wait until the morning.  I will let you know what options/tabs I do have.

The "Change Permissions" button may or may not be there depending on the account that you're using or the security settings on the system.

If it's not, then you should be able to immediately the permissions.   This varies, depending on the OS.

ANd having the system sleeping makes it hard to access, for sure. :)

The "Change Permissions" button may or may not be there depending on the account that you're using or the security settings on the system.

If it's not, then you should be able to immediately the permissions.   This varies, depending on the OS.

ANd having the system sleeping makes it hard to access, for sure. :)

I guess I'll have to do some research?  I'm logged onto the Server as the Administrator (via RDP) and it's WHS 2011 - so whatever the default security settings are for WHS 2011 would be active.  If I knew how to embed/include screenshots in these forum posts - I could send you some screenshots - easier than trying to describe the multitude of settings/advanced/edit windows..

It should look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkxoo00w3j5ud7c/NTFS%20Permissions.png?dl=0

That's taking from my testing VM for WHS2011, and is a very clean system. 

I'll have to wait until I get home as the remote access is slow and sounds like I'll need to figure some stuff out.  Thanks for the screenshot.  I'll poke around when I get back and circle back if more questions.

Thanks again