Moving disks new New Server

eduncan911

Question

Hello:

I would like as many details as possible about moving the disks, already in use by StableBit Drivepool to a new server (new perm home for them).

I recall, from a few years ago, reading that when moving the disks to a new server, just plug them in and DrivePool will see them just fine.

* What "Pool" will it see?  Does it create a new one automagically, or do I create one and add them to that new pool?

* If adding them to a new pool, how does duplicated files work when adding 15 disks from a previous pool?

I have duplicated, sometimes 4x, files I'd like to move over.

I have about 15 drives, upgrading to a new system and 4 NEW additional drives to add to the pool.

One reason I picked DrivePool was the direct-access (via hidden folders though) to the files, in the event of a pool/OS failure (or if I wanted to move to Linux or whatever).

Thank you!

15 answers to this question

Specifically, the StableBit DrivePool service looks for the disks connected to the system.  If it finds the pool folder structure on the disks ("PoolPart.xxxx" folders), it will identify the disk as part of a pool, and attempt to rebuild the pool automatically (or "automagically", as you've said). 

Depending on how old the pool is ... it may handling things slightly different. Namely, in the case of multiple pools.

But either way, it should automatically recreate the pool with the disks it can find, it will be assigned a new drive letter (randomly, as per normal), and it will recheck the duplication status of the pool (which is stored ON the pooled drives), and reduplicate data as needed.  However, any balancing settings and file placement rules are not retained.

Excellent!  That's what I thought.  Just 1 large pool.

And you nailed the 2nd part, the settings... 

Currently I am only able to setup the "Balancing Settings" by clicking on the pool itself and adjusting.  This leads me to believe the pool has to exist first.  So...

Q1: If settings can only be adjusted on existing pools, doesn't that mean I can't setup my balancers before hand?  

Q2: Is there a way to prevent balancing of a pool until I can get in and adjust the balancers?

Nope, there is no way to set them up beforehand.

Specifically, balancing is handled per pool, and there is no global settings for them (yet). 

And there is no good way around this.

However, that said, depending on the setup and how full your disks are, this shouldn't adversely affect the pool, as it may not move any files around.

However, that said, depending on the setup and how full your disks are, this shouldn't adversely affect the pool, as it may not move any files around.

Thanks for the reply!

19 TB across 7 disks

Custom "thresholds" and primary drives to use over other drives.

519 GB Unduplicated, 18.4 TB Duplicated (some folders set to 3x and 4x duplication)

Custom duplication settings to ensure a physical file exists on different HDDs.

All drives filled to ~95% (hence, the upgrade to a bigger chassis, more HDDs, etc).

I'm mostly concerned with the 3x and 4x duplication of files.  Does the Pool keep track of this in the metadata?  So, it knows:

1) that I asked for this folder/file to be duplicated 4x.

and 2) does it know where each file is (so no reduplication occurs).  

I'd imagine so.  :)

And a good bit more "tweaks."  So, the default settings may not match this and start moving.  THough, there isn't a lot of room to actually move anything!

I'll just install the software, shutdown, attach the disks, boot up and setup the balancers as fast as I can to match what I had (or what I'll like going forward).  

After things settle down, I'll then introduce the new drives into the pool.  

Thanks!

Well, duplication settings are stored as hidden NTFS metadata that we read.  When you measure the pool (this will happen automatically on a new system), or when the files are read, it will check the duplication status vs what the Pool driver actually found.  if there is a discrepancy, it will trigger a duplication pass, and reduplicate the files as needed (making additional copies or deleting "extra" copies).

So, even on a new install, it should know how many copies you are supposed to have.

But no, it doesn't know "where" the files are until they've been accessed or the directory contents have been listed. Then we try to store a lot of that information in the memory (which is very small, actually).

But from the sounds of it, you should be fine. 

After reading one of your other replies to my threads, I'm wondering if I should focus on the Balancers related to duplication.

It sounds like there is two features:

* Balancing

* Duplication Passes

If the default duplication plugins won't work for me (triggering a "Duplication Pass" under certain conditions); then, this may be the very first Balancer plugin I create.  :)

To clarify:

Balancing and Duplication are handled by different "modules" basically. 

Duplication occurs automatically (mostly), but it does respect the balancing rules.

And it's triggered automatically under certain conditions (usually file access, or when the pool is remeasured).

Balancing does have the plugins and "rules" it can be setup. 

Balancers can and will trigger a balancing pass, but they won't trigger a duplication pass. However, they will respect the duplication settings.

Also, remeasuring the pool will cause the pool to trigger a duplication pass, if needed.

Ok, thought of another question...

What about NTFS permissions?  Obviously since moving to a new system, the custom permissions I have set will be inop.

Do I need to go through and force Everyone access to the files, move them, and fix the permissions on the new system?

If I recall some similar settings when moving from WHS's DE to DrivePool (though I didn't, I just created a new empty pool and copied my data there).

NTFS permissions would be just like on a regular disk.

Namely, and specific user accounts would not carry over, and will need to be changed.

However, the built in users and groups would (Administrator(s), Guest(s), Users, SYSTEM) would remain intact (as these are universal between systems).

NTFS permissions would be just like on a regular disk.

Namely, and specific user accounts would not carry over, and will need to be changed.

However, the built in users and groups would (Administrator(s), Guest(s), Users, SYSTEM) would remain intact (as these are universal between systems).

Yep, exactly.  

I was actually more concerned about DrivePool reading the existing data.  But now that I think about, you said you are using the hidden NTFS metadata.  Perhaps that's readable no matter the permissions.

But yes, and for anyone else reading: if you have custom permissions on your drivepool (e.g. \\SERVER\Users\Mommy, \\SERVER\Users\Child1), then you will want to remove all of those permissions before switching to a new server.

Easiest way to do that is to Right-Click at the root of your pool, go to editing the permissions, remove everyone but the defaults.  Once you do that, make sure to click the checkbox for "Replace permissions on all child objects."  that will reset it all.

Yep, exactly.  

I was actually more concerned about DrivePool reading the existing data.  But now that I think about, you said you are using the hidden NTFS metadata.  Perhaps that's readable no matter the permissions.

But yes, and for anyone else reading: if you have custom permissions on your drivepool (e.g. \\SERVER\Users\Mommy, \\SERVER\Users\Child1), then you will want to remove all of those permissions before switching to a new server.

Easiest way to do that is to Right-Click at the root of your pool, go to editing the permissions, remove everyone but the defaults.  Once you do that, make sure to click the checkbox for "Replace permissions on all child objects."  that will reset it all.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "existing data" (but I may be a bit tired).

But basically, the pool driver works as a sort of proxy. Any sort of file system commands (including reading permissions) are proxied to the underlying drives. So there should be no issues with accessing the files or permissions, or changing them on the new systems.

Access may be an issue for specific user accounts, depending on the permission settings. 

Otherwise, they should still be accessible.