FlexRAID's new tRAID and Drive Pool

Salty

Question

The new tRAID engine hit RC5 so I thought I'd give it a go.

I wanted to disable the native tRAID drive pooling in favour of stablebit - I prefer the way stablebit works and I would like to keep using its more robust balancing framework.

The tRAID engine virtualises the harddrives so windows sees your original drives as offline and the new tRAID drives are what I would like to add to drivepool.

When I click add, it sits at 95% for quite a while and then gives up. The drive's never added to the pool.

So two quick questions:

* Has anyone else tried tRAID with DrivePool - Can you confirm my results?

* To Alex and the team - Is there any chance of this compatibility being addressed in the future if this is indeed a compatibility problem.

Cheers,

Matt.

7 answers to this question

The new tRAID feature doesn't really involve an array in the traditional sense. It presents all the drives individually to the system, rather than as one large pooled disk. It does provide the option to pool the disks, but DrivePool's implementation is much better.

So I believe what he's wanting is to add the individual tRAID protected disks to DrivePool. The intended end result is for him to have DrivePool with parity.

I would also like to do the same thing. I haven't tried it yet, but I would like to be able to do it at some point if StableBit doesn't intend to add their own parity features (which I understand is outside of the scope of the product).

Transient's description is accurate - the new tRAID feature still presents individual data disks. I'd like to get these into DrivePool for Disk pooling. FlexRAID's tRAID will give me parity.

I'll endeavour to collect some log files of this tonight.

Cheers,

Matt.

Has this worked, can you use Stablebit to drivepool a tRAID?

Thanks

I have not had any luck getting the tRAID volumes added to a DrivePool pool. It gets to about 95% and then stops. A drivepool hidden folder is created on the volume but its never added to the pool.

I have submitted a request for support to Alex and the team. At this time they have been able to reproduce the problem but this is not something that has been addressed.

I also tried passing the tRAID volumes through to a Hyper-V virtual machine and installed DrivePool inside the guest VM. This works and the drives mount successfully.

The problem I was having with this approach (other than the added complexity and the fact that Brahim has flat out said he won't support it) is that tRAID reports parity errors.

Now I need to do some more testing on this because I assumed this was a tRAID / Hyper-V problem. When I reverted back to tRAID on the host only with tRAID pooling, I was still getting parity errors!

Just haven't had time to sort this one out. Would be keen to see if anyone else gets a stable solution for this.

Sorry to have blurred the lines here between DrivePool and tRAID but just wanted to let you know where I'm at with a working solution involving both tRAID and DrivePool.

Cheers,

Salty.