Off-Site Incremental backup solution?

RJGNOW

Question

13 answers to this question

Like Christopher, I'm old-skool. I just dupe onto portable HDDs, take them to work & put them in my desk drawer! The trick is remembering to update them regularly.

(I also have some stuff in Dropbox, but really that's for current files where I need access from home & work without too much forward planning)

I seem to have accumulated an absolute ton of cloud storage space from various referral deals etc, but so far I've never really used it (CloudDrive looks really interesting to me on that front). The biggest hurdle for me is the tedious initial uploading process. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if it was just a selected few GB.

Was looking for a "Oh crap the building burned down" solution for the important stuff which only amounts to about 10 gigs.

In that case, CrashPlan isn't a bad idea. :)

BackBlaze is another solution, as well.

Aside from that, I don't really have good recommendations.

Aside from using a secondary, external, encrypted pool, kept in something like a mediasonic box and stored offsite at a bank in a security deposit box (clearly, I don't trust anyone else's datacenter with my data).

https://www.arqbackup.com/

ARQ going to the bottomless amazon drive, encrypted, compressed, deduped.  its not fancy at all, but it works very well with drivepool. and its got a 30 day trial. $70, but its not limited up to the trial end.

my only experience on advice is if you define a backup set, it goes through the motions, but doesnt actually do anything (assuming theres something to backup, there will be a total to do), delete the backup and make it again.  it simply may not work from the start, so you wont be any worse for it. do a small test first... I've only used it with the amazon cloud drive, and files arnt online emediatly after upload all the time.. so if you do a backup test, wait a while before you do the restore test.

I'm actually looking for a simple way to do this using my pre-existing storage available on my seedbox.  I checked with the mods there and they said it was within my ability (not violating any rules) to do that.  All I need to do is setup a folder there, and get stuff uploaded to it.  They support sFTP, so that would probably be the protocol to use.  Only problem is finding a program that I can configure to do automatic incremental backups with.  Doing it all manually, telling the FTP program to overwrite everything it sees seems a bit tedious.  Plus I like to have an official support for me to be able to do an automatic recovery.

(slightly) OFFTOPIC ->  I just upgraded to WSE2012R2 tonight.  I'm completely overwhelmed by the OS.  I'm totally lost.  Anybody care to send me a PM with stuff I need to do?  I previously posted in another thread that I just want a simple file server that does client backups.  Very much what the old WHS v1 did.  But necessity for future proofing and access to Windows Update caused me to go this new route, where I'm not at all familiar with the OS.  I've been trying to get my client computer to connect to the server domain, but it keeps crapping out on me.  I don't know how to make that work.  I did manage to enable Computer Browser to Automatic, and tweak the server to use a static IP address (I also changed the DNS from 127.0.0.1 to the router 192.168.1.1).  Those seemed to make it work and I can browse the shares.  But there's a lot there I don't ever need.  Is there an easy way to remove them?

I gotta tell ya, WHS 2011 is A LOT easier and seems to work well for small home networks.

I just recently setup this 2012 R2 server for work, and man-O-man it's WAY more complicated. My only advice is to let the wizards do all the heavy lifting until you know more about the OS, and take things very slow.

I gotta tell ya, WHS 2011 is A LOT easier and seems to work well for small home networks.

I just recently setup this 2012 R2 server for work, and man-O-man it's WAY more complicated. My only advice is to let the wizards do all the heavy lifting until you know more about the OS, and take things very slow.

That's why I like Essentials.  It's a lot simplier.  Though, some of it can definitely get complicated fast. :(