Backup & Windows 10

bman

Question

Hi,

I have Stablebit DrivePool installed on Windows 8.1. I am now wanting to backup everything and move to Windows 10.

What are the exact steps needed? My DrivePool drives are all their own, the OS is on its on SSD not included in the DrivePool.

How do I make sure I can install Windows 10, and install DrivePool and be backup how I was before?

10 answers to this question

Is windows 10 fully supported yet?

No, not yet. Unfortunately.

Hi,

I have Stablebit DrivePool installed on Windows 8.1. I am now wanting to backup everything and move to Windows 10.

What are the exact steps needed? My DrivePool drives are all their own, the OS is on its on SSD not included in the DrivePool.

How do I make sure I can install Windows 10, and install DrivePool and be backup how I was before?

Disconnect the drives, deactivate the license, move the drives over to the new system, activate the license on the new system.

It will keep the duplication settings and label, but that's about it. you'll need to change the drive letter (if that's important to you), and balancing settings (including file placement rules). 

To deactivate the license:
Open the UI on the system that DrivePool is installed on, click on the "Gear" icon in the top, right corner and select the "manage license" option. This will open a window that shows you the Activation ID, as well as a big button to "Deactivate" the license. Once you've done this, you can activate the license on a new system.

So that is all you do?

You just remove the drives from the pool? So the data just sits wherever it already is?

I never played with any other settings so that isn't a concern. Just want to make sure that when I install the app and add drives to pool, it will just work.

I just feel like the data on the drives need to know how to connect to each other, but I guess that isn't the case?

**or do you mean something else by disconnect the drives?

Yes, exactly.

The pooled data is stored in hidden "PoolPart" folders. This is what StableBit DrivePool looks for, when it looks for pooled disks. 

The driver handles merging the lists of files, and access. So there isn't anything "special" that needs to be done with the pooled disks. :)

Depending on what you're doing exactly, you may not even need to disconnect them.  However, I'd recommend it just in case, if you're doing a clean install.  If you're doing an inplace upgrade, then .... I don't think you should need to do anything. Just upgrade.

Ok I think I mis-understood.

I went and hit remove on one of the drives in the pool, and it just seems to be removing the data from the pool.

When you say disconnect? Do you means physically in the system, the actual drives inside my case?

Going inside my case is problematic and keeping track of which is which. Can I not just remove my license and wipe the system, and install and add license and it will detect the pool?

Also yea....

I have drivepool installed on the OS SDD, but my data are their own drives.

Do I not have to backup the DrivePool software somehow? Seems very confusing and worrying.