New OS same hardware Reuse serial?

easyrider

Question

Hi,

Can I use my old Stable-bit key on a new OS?

I need to rebuild my home server but I'm going to be using windows 10.

Can I just install drivepool on the new OS (same hardware) and reuse my key?

Will drivepool just see all the drives in the pool?

will I have to reset duplication parameters again?

Thanks

7 answers to this question

Depends.  If you're moving the license over (eg, decommissioning the old system or it's already been wiped), then yes, absolutely.

It sounds like you're definitely moving it over, so you can deactivate the license on your old system, or we can deactivate it on our end.

• StableBit DrivePool 1.X: Open the Dashboard (either remotely or locally), and click on the "Settings" button in the dashboard (top, right section). Open the "DrivePool" section in the Settings window, and click on the "manage license" link at the bottom of the page.
  • StableBit DrivePool 2.X: Open the UI on the system that DrivePool is installed on, click on the "Gear" icon in the top, right corner and select the "manage license" option.
  • StableBit Scanner: Open the UI on the system that Scanner is installed on. Click on "Settings" and select "Scanner Settings". Open the "Licensing" tab, and click on the "Manage license" link.
This will open a window that shows you the Activation ID, as well as a big button to "Deactivate" the license. Once you've done this, you can activate the license on a new system.

Otherwise, contact us at https://stablebit.com/Contactso we can deactivate your licnese (in  case we need personal information)

And sorry to link you, but I've just answered all of your questions here:

(yes, it will see the drives, and it stores the duplication info on the pool directly)

Before I install Drivepool again on the new OS (same Hardware) do I have to physically remove the drives then install drivepool then reattach. Or can I just install drivepool while he disks are attached and running.Windows 8.1

Either. :)

And depending, you don't even really need to physically remove/disconnect the drives. I just recommend it, "just in case" the setup program wants to do something bizarre.

dv6ZxZe.jpg

Installed drivepool on the new OS ...connected the drives and like magic it all appeared.I'm getting this though..I guess from the last server OS.

I can access the folders OK but its bugging me. :P

In my haste I forgot to deactivate the key before I moved the moved the pool..TBH the server was not allowing me to launch anything anyway.

Shall I email you or just use the same key? I was running scanner too.

Installed drivepool on the new OS ...connected the drives and like magic it all appeared.I'm getting this though..I guess from the last server OS.

I can access the folders OK but its bugging me. :P

Yeah, it really does feel like magic. :)

And yes, the "Account Unknown (S-1-21-....)" are the "SIDs" from the user accounts on the old system. You can absolutely delete them if you want, there is no issues with that.

Generally, it's "recommended" to use the built in accounts/groups when possible, as these always transfer between systems (they use "universal SIDs" that are used on all Windows systems).

So, "Administrators", "Users", "Authenticated Users", "Everyone", "Guests", "SYSTEM", etc, are best to use, if you don't want to specify a specific user.  But it's not required (I'm just .... OCD about organization, and using these groups is much cleaner).

In my haste I forgot to deactivate the key before I moved the moved the pool..TBH the server was not allowing me to launch anything anyway.

Shall I email you or just use the same key? I was running scanner too.

For any licensing issues, we recommend that you use https://stablebit.com/Contactas we may need personal information from you to identify the license.