Poor read performance while playing Music stored in pooled drives

metaldood

Question

I have a 12TB (2x4TB WD Red 1x4TB Green) pool with 2.5TB of music files FLAC and Mp3. That folder is duplicated 2x. While playing locally using Foobar or any other media player the music just stops playing in between for 3-4 seconds because the Pool is not able to keep with the reads. I have enabled all the Performance options and set the background priority to 4 in the config file. Very annoying :(

4 answers to this question

Could you turn off Network IO Boost and make sure Read Striping is enabled.

If that doesn't help, try disabling read striping.

Also, could you do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

And then could you enable file system logging and reproduce the issue:

v1: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Log_Collection

v2: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Hi not sure if this helps or not but if you have iTunes installed there is a known problem that causes this you even if your using another player, anyway what you have to do is load QuickTime up go to preferences and change the playback mode to safe mode you may have to do this a number of times as it doesn't always stick then reboot and it does stop it mine used to pause for a few seconds at the beginning of each song very annoying but the above did solve it if you google iTunes playback stuttering there are other solutions as well.

the music just stops playing in between for 3-4 seconds because the Pool is not able to keep with the reads

Did you ever figure this one out?? I have exactly the same issue but I am fairly convinced that it isn't DrivePool but rather that it's a network related issue because a) if I move the music files to a drive not in the pool then the same problem occurs and b ) if I use iperf to test the network without involving the disks I see similar issues with pauses as long as eight or nine seconds when no data is transmitted between the server and the client.

Did you ever figure this one out?? I have exactly the same issue but I am fairly convinced that it isn't DrivePool but rather that it's a network related issue because a) if I move the music files to a drive not in the pool then the same problem occurs and b ) if I use iperf to test the network without involving the disks I see similar issues with pauses as long as eight or nine seconds when no data is transmitted between the server and the client.

On both systems, open up the Device manager, find the NICs, and open the advanced tab.  Disable any setting that has "checksum" or "offload" in the name. Disable "Green Ethernet" if that is an option.  Disable Jumbo Frames, as well (or tweak the settings, and make sure both systems match). 

Also, try running the following command from an elevated (admin) command prompt:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted