DrivePool with DisParity

lancer-am

Question

Just recently went through the pain of trying to run 5 3TB drives in RAID5 off of my Intel ICH10R controller. This proved to be very painful and left me with about a 15MB/s write speed. A friend recommended DrivePool to me, I am an old WHS user and had previously been using the Windows Storage Spaces so I thought it sounded good. The only thing It was missing for me was Parity as I didn't want full duplication. Here is my setup, I went with DisParity and I was very happy with how easy it was to setup. 

When I first created the DrivePool I put all 5 drives in and turned on duplication, so I had to remove duplication the remove one of the drives for parity. DisParity was a very easy point and click setup, just make sure when you add a drive that the "Ignore Hidden Files and Folders" option is unchecked. I know SnapRAID is another option but for those that would rather have a GUI, this is a nice freeware alternative.

post-2061-0-83882800-1436383359_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

Well, glad to hear that it works well with the pool.

Also, does DisParity work by using a File System filter?

You can check by doing this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

Post the results here, if you're not sure.

And if it does, then you will want to disable the "bypass file system filters" option, to ensure it works 100% with StableBit DrivePool.

Here is the current list of File system filters running. The asw ones are AVAST antivirus. npsvctrig and Wof appear to be windows native.

post-2061-0-45571400-1436395249_thumb.jpg

DisParity finished its update while I was at work today and seemed to work fine. The yellow bar on DrivePool was from earlier when I deleted the duplication, there was a .lock file it couldn't get to. That has since been resolved and DrivePool is back to green.

Okay, those are all the normal filters then (plus Avast's arsenal of filters). DisParity isn't doing anything there then, so you should be fine.

And as for the .lock file, something was creating the file, and keeping it open.  That would definitely prevent it from "duplicating" the file properly.

Regards

I will have to check disparity out sounds easy to use and setup. I do think Alex is missing a trick by not giving us a yes or know on some of the addons people have requested would be nice to have a complete suite of software that integrates and plays nice.

I will have to check disparity out sounds easy to use and setup. I do think Alex is missing a trick by not giving us a yes or know on some of the addons people have requested would be nice to have a complete suite of software that integrates and plays nice.

Well, it depends on which you are referring to.

And as for why, it's hard to say yes or no. In some cases, it's hard to tell how easy it may be to add a feature/addon. Especially without looking into how to implement it. And both researching it and implementing it can be a very time consuming process, as we want to make sure it's done right.