Windows 10 support etc

Yekul

Question

Ahoi hoi,

Just wondering what's planned for Windows 10? Does the current Windows 8.1 build workf ine or will there be other issues to address etc?

Trying to decide which system to load up for server, however with official release of Windows 10 in a month or so, i'd rather not reinstall everything in a months time!

Anyone currently using it on the latest release with success? Or any reasons not to make the jump? Have Windows 8.1 so will be entitled to the upgrade, however don't much like the idea of loading everything up and THEN updating in a month (prefer a cleaner install).

Anywho advice/help appreciated!

Hello,

I've recently installed StableBit Drivepool (stable version 2.1.1.561, not beta) on a win10 pro OS. I've noticed an inconsistency in how the pool interfaces with windows. Some windows 10 processes recognize the entire pool while others think the pool is 1.99TB. Details below.

Configuration 4x3TB HDDs formatted with GUID Partition Tables.

DrivePool Size=10.9TB

Windows File Explorer=10.9TB

Windows DiskPart.exe=1.99TB (confirms DrivePool is GPT)

Windows Disk Management=1.99TB

I'm concerned about what will happen when I surpass 1.99TB. After reading through this thread I plan to switch to the beta version to see if windows can consistently read the drivepool size. Is there a documented method to update to beta that doesn't involve rebuilding DrivePool?

Everything looks fine, actually. 

Disk management (and diskpart, both of which use VDS) shows the drive as ~2TBs in the bottom drive list. This is a technical issue with the driver, and is expected. 

Pretty much nowhere uses this specific spot to query disk size, and most use "the normal way" to query disk size and free space, which are returned "properly".  

You should have no issue.  In fact, I have a very large pool, and I have never run into an issue:

EOqVa8D.png

I've highlighted my pool disks (S: and T:), though the T: pool only consists of a single 2TB drive at the moment (due to technical reasons with another system)

As for upgrading, there isn't ever a need to "rebuild" the pool.  StableBit DrivePool handles this automatically (automagically), so that if you upgrade, reinstall, change hardware, etc, the pool shows up without having to do anything else.

Hello,

We have two Windows 8.1 Pro machines with DrivePool and StableBit.  Both have run reliably for over two years.

I intend to update to Windows 10 and I would appreciate any precautionary advice and recommendations to ensure a reliable transition.

I believe that there may be user permissions issues for the shares if I don't complete certain steps.

Machine One is considered a file server and has very little software installed since it was built.  It has one Windows 7 Virtual Machine in Hyper-V and several access permissions for the family.

Machine Two is used routinely as the family PC and has several backup files from the Server.

Upgrade options

1. Because the systems operate reliably, I could simply upgrade to the latest version of DrivePool and StableBit and then upgrade to Windows 10 "as is".
  2. I have an Acronis image from initial build without DrivePool.  I could deactivate the license, restore the image, upgrade to Windows 10, then install DrivePool.

For option 2, should I physically unplug the drives?

For option 1 or 2, would I need to use the utility to manage file permissions after the upgrade?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks.

I'm in the same situation with my file server. Currently on 8.1 and I want to go to 10. I think the common wisdom is to install the latest beta of DrivePool which is, for all intents and purposes, Windows 10 compatible. I believe many people are running that setup with no issues.

I'm still holding out in case an official release becomes available though. I also plan to do a clean install of 10 when the summer update for that comes out, rather than doing an in-place upgrade.

Hello,

We have two Windows 8.1 Pro machines with DrivePool and StableBit.  Both have run reliably for over two years.

I intend to update to Windows 10 and I would appreciate any precautionary advice and recommendations to ensure a reliable transition.

I believe that there may be user permissions issues for the shares if I don't complete certain steps.

Machine One is considered a file server and has very little software installed since it was built.  It has one Windows 7 Virtual Machine in Hyper-V and several access permissions for the family.

Machine Two is used routinely as the family PC and has several backup files from the Server.

Upgrade options

1. Because the systems operate reliably, I could simply upgrade to the latest version of DrivePool and StableBit and then upgrade to Windows 10 "as is".
  2. I have an Acronis image from initial build without DrivePool.  I could deactivate the license, restore the image, upgrade to Windows 10, then install DrivePool.

For option 2, should I physically unplug the drives?

For option 1 or 2, would I need to use the utility to manage file permissions after the upgrade?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks.

I'm in the same situation with my file server. Currently on 8.1 and I want to go to 10. I think the common wisdom is to install the latest beta of DrivePool which is, for all intents and purposes, Windows 10 compatible. I believe many people are running that setup with no issues.

I'm still holding out in case an official release becomes available though. I also plan to do a clean install of 10 when the summer update for that comes out, rather than doing an in-place upgrade.

I'd recommend uninstalling the current version of StableBit DrivePool, run the upgrade and then install the beta version.  

This isn't necessary, but it would be the "best" method

But you should be able to just upgrade in place, actually. 

Just throwing in my upgrade report, in case others were interested.  Been holding out as long as possible, but I finally gave in.

I was running Win 7 64-bit, with DrivePool 2.1.1.561.  My drives were all mounted as folders.

- I uninstalled DrivePool

- Rebooted

- Updated to Windows 10

- Installed the beta version of DrivePool, 2.2.0.651

- Rebooted as instructed by DrivePool setup

- I did not have to re-enter my license key or reconfigure my drives.  The pool was back to the way it was.

- I did change the following setting as I noticed my drives being queried every few seconds http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1784-drivepool-beta-constant-disk-activity

- All of my drives were powered on during the entire upgrade process.

I did have one quirk, not sure if I should be concerned.  

- Before the upgrade, DrivePool showed my "Duplicated" status at 42.3 TB; there was no "Unduplicated" or "Other" value visible

- After the upgrade, "Duplicated" was 41.0 TB, "Unduplicated" was 331 KB, and "Other" was 1.30 TB.

- I ran the Remeasure function, and "Duplicated" was now back to 42.3 TB, "Unduplicated" shrunk to 304 KB, and "Other" shrunk to 6.32 GB.

Thanks for sharing. I'm still holding out but the Windows 10 free upgrade is expiring soon so I may not have much of a choice.

On a related note, has anyone tried running the 2.2 beta on Windows 7/8? Is there any reason for doing so?

I'm thinking of doing the Windows 10 upgrade just to get the digital entitlement, then rolling back to Windows 8. I'm wondering whether I should install the beta at that point or stick with the last official version. It sounds like the beta is stable for all intents and purposes but I still want the warm fuzzy feeling of a non-beta version.

Just throwing in my upgrade report, in case others were interested.  Been holding out as long as possible, but I finally gave in.

I was running Win 7 64-bit, with DrivePool 2.1.1.561.  My drives were all mounted as folders.

- I uninstalled DrivePool

- Rebooted

- Updated to Windows 10

- Installed the beta version of DrivePool, 2.2.0.651

- Rebooted as instructed by DrivePool setup

- I did not have to re-enter my license key or reconfigure my drives.  The pool was back to the way it was.

- I did change the following setting as I noticed my drives being queried every few seconds http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1784-drivepool-beta-constant-disk-activity

- All of my drives were powered on during the entire upgrade process.

I did have one quirk, not sure if I should be concerned.  

- Before the upgrade, DrivePool showed my "Duplicated" status at 42.3 TB; there was no "Unduplicated" or "Other" value visible

- After the upgrade, "Duplicated" was 41.0 TB, "Unduplicated" was 331 KB, and "Other" was 1.30 TB.

- I ran the Remeasure function, and "Duplicated" was now back to 42.3 TB, "Unduplicated" shrunk to 304 KB, and "Other" shrunk to 6.32 GB.

The constant "pinging" of the disk is due to the BitLocker Drive Detection code. If you disable the feature in the advanced config, it will stop outright.  It was enabled by default in the 2.2 beta builds. 

As for the measuring, we've made a number of changes in the beta builds. In some cases it's more accurate, and in some... not as much.  (in use files are not measured properly until they're closed, sparse files are measured different, etc). 

The entire measuring system needs an overhaul, but this isn't a small undertaking. And Alex (The Developer) has been busy with StableBit CloudDrive, and doesn't want to split focus too much. 

Thanks for sharing. I'm still holding out but the Windows 10 free upgrade is expiring soon so I may not have much of a choice.

On a related note, has anyone tried running the 2.2 beta on Windows 7/8? Is there any reason for doing so?

I'm thinking of doing the Windows 10 upgrade just to get the digital entitlement, then rolling back to Windows 8. I'm wondering whether I should install the beta at that point or stick with the last official version. It sounds like the beta is stable for all intents and purposes but I still want the warm fuzzy feeling of a non-beta version.

If you're using Windows 8, I think you'll be happier with Windows 10. But to each their own. 

As for running 2.2, technically yes.  I'm using the latest ( 2.2.0.677 ) on Server 2012R2 (same kernel as 8.1), with only a couple of issues. (self induced though). 

And yeah, the beta build is pretty stable. 

Hello,
I upgraded two machines this weekend from 8.1 to 10.  One machine I installed in place with no changes to DrivePool or StableBit and I receive some error information in the Windows log.  See below.

DrivePool 2.1.0558
Scanner 2.5.1.3062

Error report file saved to:
C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2016_07_04-05_58_34.9.saencryptedreport
Exception:
CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter+ReporterLogException: {reporter_exception}
   at CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter.ThrowLogReportN(Exception TheException, Object[] TheParams)
   at CoveUtil.ErrorReporting..(Exception )

C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2016_07_04-05_58_34.8.saencryptedreport
Exception:
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.SendTo(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags, EndPoint remoteEP)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.SendTo(Byte[] buffer, EndPoint remoteEP)
   at #lwd.#kwd.#hwd(#jG )
   at #lwd.#kwd.#jwd()
   at CoveUtil.ReportingAction.Run(Action TheDangerousAction, Func`2 ErrorReportExceptionFilter)

For the second machine, I removed the CoveCube applications and re-installed the versions below.  I also receive a similar error in the Windows logs but they are more frequent (multiple events per day).
These may be "routine" reports, let me know if I should report more information.  The software seems to be working correctly other than the events in the log.

DrivePool 2.2.0677 BETA
Scanner 2.5.2.3121 BETA

C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2016_07_04-10_56_33.6.saencryptedreport
Exception:
CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter+ReporterLogException: {reporter_exception}
   at CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter.ThrowLogReportN(Exception TheException, Object[] TheParams)
   at CoveUtil.ErrorReporting..(Exception )

C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2016_07_04-10_56_33.5.saencryptedreport
Exception:
System.InvalidOperationException: Not enough data returned.
   at #zcc.#C1b.#tKb[#wKb](SafeFileHandle , Int32 )
   at DrivePoolService.Pool.CoveFsDriver.FsControl.#sZc()
   at DrivePoolService.Pool.CoveFsPool.#9bf.#uZc()
   at CoveUtil.ReportingAction.Run(Action TheDangerousAction, Func`2 ErrorReportExceptionFilter)

@GreenApple:

The first issue looks like a networking issue trying to reach a remote system.  
It looks like this error can be safely ignored. 

The second issue look like it may a legitamate error, I'd want to pursue that. 

If you could, open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contact/ and upload the Error Reports there. 

(chances are, it's just a bit of cleanup needed, and nothing critical, but just in case). 

Anyone install the Anniversay Update yet? 

Yup, and no issues. 

...ok, Win10-Pro fails to upgrade from 1511 to 1607 on my system...I'd gather Stablebit Drivers are not the issue then.

Found some people mention in the win support forums, that non genuine drivers are suspect to cause this effect.

I have in the last couple of days moved to 1607 on one of my machines

as i was having trouble with veeam installing - has major strop when it sees the drive pool - i had disabled the stablebit services in windows 10 64bit to get Veeam to install fully

while i was at it i let windows upgrade and it went through without a hitch - not saying its a problem with stablebit - but might get you past whatever errors you are getting

previously had problems on day one of Anniversary release with Avast and vt-x causing errors on upgrade but thats fixed now

if its just not giving you the option to update - search for the migrate tool from MS which will force the upgrade to happen - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=821403

...ok, Win10-Pro fails to upgrade from 1511 to 1607 on my system...I'd gather Stablebit Drivers are not the issue then.

Found some people mention in the win support forums, that non genuine drivers are suspect to cause this effect.

Missed this, apparently. 

I upgraded to 1607 with drivePool installed without any problems.  Our drivers are signed, so there shouldn't be any issues with them. 

Chances are, that the failure occurred elsewhere, and yay for microsoft logging......

If you are having issues, uninstall our software, reboot, and then try upgrading. 

Once it's upgraded (or if it fails), then reinstall our software. it should retain the settings and pool info, without any issues. 

Missed this, apparently. 

I upgraded to 1607 with drivePool installed without any problems.  Our drivers are signed, so there shouldn't be any issues with them. 

Chances are, that the failure occurred elsewhere, and yay for microsoft logging......

If you are having issues, uninstall our software, reboot, and then try upgrading. 

Once it's upgraded (or if it fails), then reinstall our software. it should retain the settings and pool info, without any issues. 

My rig runs on a server - X8SIL-F (Socket 1356) with a PCIe x1 ATI HD-6450 ... and ATI flagged them as legacy now.

I suspect these drivers to be the issue...I am now on a GT-520 (which never worked in this rig prior to Win10)...being in the process of upgrading to 1607 now....we'll see.

If this fails, I'll try your method....another cause might be the LSI-2008 card and drivers....these I will try/touch last.

Edit: update fails with GT520, too....I now de-installed StableBit Scannner and DrivePool  ... we'll see.

Edit2: OK, after I striped the rig from literally everything, the upgrade finally went through after I pulled the USB connection to my UPS :-(

I have been using Drivepool 2.2.0.651 BETA for so long.  Why this version is still in Beta status?   Same for the scanner Beta. 

Agreed..  Why hasn't the developer updated to a stable release or released new betas or something?  Is this project dead?

Hi the product is a stable release which can be downloaded from the main website the beta's are hot fixes for specific issues raised by fellow users as such they are betas as they may or may not effect other users systems adversely and are downloaded at your own risk.

While I haven't spoke to Alex directly for a while he is actively updating the software and working on additional software for the product line-up Chris/drashna is the forum point of contact.

I have been using Drivepool 2.2.0.651 BETA for so long.  Why this version is still in Beta status?   Same for the scanner Beta. 

Because we're a small company and Alex has been working hard on StableBit CloudDrive. 

Though, that said, we do plan on having updated public beta builds of these products in the near future, and then stable releases. 

Also, see the next bit. 

Agreed..  Why hasn't the developer updated to a stable release or released new betas or something?  Is this project dead?

See above. 

Also, since the release and public beta versions work perfectly fine on Windows 10 and Server 2016, there hasn't been a need to rush out a build.  

You can continue ot use that version without any problems. 

Hi the product is a stable release which can be downloaded from the main website the beta's are hot fixes for specific issues raised by fellow users as such they are betas as they may or may not effect other users systems adversely and are downloaded at your own risk.

While I haven't spoke to Alex directly for a while he is actively updating the software and working on additional software for the product line-up Chris/drashna is the forum point of contact.

Exactly.  

And we have started going through StableBit Scanner and StableBit DrivePool issues, so we can push out an updated beta and release builds in the near future. 

We apologize for the delay here, but StableBit CloudDrive has turned out to be a lot bigger than exacted (a lot more work to get it stable). 

Hopefully, we'll have something out very soon, but I can't promise anything. 

(though, if you check, there has been a flurry of activity on StableBit DrivePool recently).

Chris,

Good thing Drivepool is still stable despite so many Windows updates. But if Microsoft had broken the Drivepool with the anniversary update, I would not want to figure out how to convert 17tb pool data to RAID1 setup.  Just wanted make sure you guys have not given up on Drivepool. 

Chris,

Good thing Drivepool is still stable despite so many Windows updates. But if Microsoft had broken the Drivepool with the anniversary update, I would not want to figure out how to convert 17tb pool data to RAID1 setup.  Just wanted make sure you guys have not given up on Drivepool. 

Understandable. 

And actually, I'm using it on two systems with Windows 10 AU, including my desktop system.  

And no, we definitely havin't "given up".  Though most of the development time has going to StableBit CloudDrive. But as we're nearing completion on that, it should go back to bug fixes and feature additions in all three products.  

In fact, there are a number of newer builds that have been released recently for StableBit DrivePool and StableBit Scanner.  Including a massive overhaul for the measuring system.