Windows 10 support etc

Yekul

Question

Ahoi hoi,

Just wondering what's planned for Windows 10? Does the current Windows 8.1 build workf ine or will there be other issues to address etc?

Trying to decide which system to load up for server, however with official release of Windows 10 in a month or so, i'd rather not reinstall everything in a months time!

Anyone currently using it on the latest release with success? Or any reasons not to make the jump? Have Windows 8.1 so will be entitled to the upgrade, however don't much like the idea of loading everything up and THEN updating in a month (prefer a cleaner install).

Anywho advice/help appreciated!

"Soon".

We are waiting on the new version of Visual Studio to be released, so that we can properly compile a native Windows 10 version.

Once this is done, we will compile it, test it and release it as soon as possible.  In fact, we hope to do so before the July 29th release date, but no guarantees.

So we're waiting on Microsoft.

Glad to hear that it'll be priority.   Windows 10 is REALY good and excited to get my server upgraded to it (and all my other PC's - you can't beat FREE!)

Yeah, because well, most people will be upgrading, likely. Especially because it IS for free.

However, I don't get it for free. :(  

All of my systems are domain joined, so they're not eligible for the upgrade.  And yes, I feel like I got screwed.

Yeah, because well, most people will be upgrading, likely. Especially because it IS for free.

However, I don't get it for free. :(

All of my systems are domain joined, so they're not eligible for the upgrade.  And yes, I feel like I got screwed.

You're not screwed at all. But MS is being smart and they are not "touching" domain computers (and they shouldn't!!!).

All you have to do is login to the local administrator account to initiate the upgrade.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/domain-joined-windows-781-pro-upgrades-to-windows/af5d843c-f39c-4196-9ec9-33ea917cea21?auth=1

Carlo

You're not screwed at all. But MS is being smart and they are not "touching" domain computers (and they shouldn't!!!).

All you have to do is login to the local administrator account to initiate the upgrade.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/domain-joined-windows-781-pro-upgrades-to-windows/af5d843c-f39c-4196-9ec9-33ea917cea21?auth=1

Carlo

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely understand the reasons behind Microsoft's decisions, but they don't have a documented way to reserve and upgrade it for people using Essentials.

Should users wait and not upgrade to Windows 10? I have the RTM build downloaded and can upgrade to Windows 10 today. 

Edit :- I decided to risk the upgrade. Drivepool and scanner work okay afaik.

I would recommend waiting, yes. 

However, we do have a good number of users on Windows 10 already, without any issues. We have had a report of a couple of UI related issues, but if the build you are on is indeed the RTM build ,then it should work fine.

I purchased drivepool because even though i like flexraid, they are slow to catch up and i need win 10 pooling right now.  Tested a few months ago and it didn't work, but read here that it was now working.  Because i already used the trial i couldn't test so i bought drivepool.  It is still not working for me...the drive shows up but there seem to be no files in it.  Any recommendations?

Is there a tentative date for when official Windows 10 support is coming?  Being that it's going to be rolled out tomorrow I'm sure many are eagerly waiting to upgrade.

As soon as possible.  That's about the best we can promise.

The issue is that the SDK for Windows 10 doesn't "drop" until tomorrow as well.  Additionally, the RTM ISOs are not even on MSDN yet.

So there is no way we can properly check for Windows 10 support until tomorrow at the very minimum. 

Additionally, because the kernel has changed, that means that we need to verify that a version compiled with Windows 10 support actually functions properly.  Otherwise, it could absolutely cause BSODs, or other crashes.  So on top of any issues we run into getting it to compile properly in the first place, we need to extensively test it to make sure it's working properly, as well. 

We would have liked to have been doing that last week, so we could at least try for a matching release date... but when the SDK isn't released, there isn't much we can do.

In the meanwhile, plenty of people have already "tested" the current version on Windows 10, and it seems to work just fine.  (some minor UI bugs, be we suspect that was due to the beta version of .NET Framework).

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 last night and DrivePool does not seem to recognize my pool members (or the pool they make up).

It only offers to create a new pool using the remaining drives. The pool members are still mounted in the folders they were mounted in before.

(I tried assigning a drive letter to one of the pool members instead, but it still does not show up in the DrivePool window.)

6XfONKU.png

Edit:

I managed to fix it. Sadly, using a "we will never know" method. ;-)

I saw this issue that got implemented in one of the beta builds of version 2.2 and it looked like it might fit my problem. So I tried upgrading to the latest beta build (2.2.0.634). However, the upgrade would just fail every time and not change anything.

So I went ahead and uninstalled the stable version -- and here's where the "we will never know" part comes into play -- went straight to the 2.2 beta. The drives showed up after that. Might be that uninstalling and re-installing the stable version would have achieved the same. I had tried using the "repair" option of the stable installer before, though, and it didn't help.

sAkFWaX.png

Edited by Gnarfoz

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 last night and DrivePool does not seem to recognize my pool members (or the pool they make up).

It only offers to create a new pool using the remaining drives. The pool members are still mounted in the folders they were mounted in before.

(I tried assigning a drive letter to one of the pool members instead, but it still does not show up in the DrivePool window.)

6XfONKU.png

Edit:

I managed to fix it. Sadly, using a "we will never know" method. ;-)

I saw this issue that got implemented in one of the beta builds of version 2.2 and it looked like it might fit my problem. So I tried upgrading to the latest beta build (2.2.0.634). However, the upgrade would just fail every time and not change anything.

So I went ahead and uninstalled the stable version -- and here's where the "we will never know" part comes into play -- went straight to the 2.2 beta. The drives showed up after that. Might be that uninstalling and re-installing the stable version would have achieved the same. I had tried using the "repair" option of the stable installer before, though, and it didn't help.

sAkFWaX.png

Do you know the specific issue?

Was it an "0x800070634" error? If so, that's usually a "pending reboot" error. Though, that's not always the case... and the installer we use is not very good at passing that information along. 

I can't find the download link for the 2.2.0 beta. Where can I find it if I want to switch from WHS 2011 to Windows 10?

All beta builds an be located here:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/

However, be careful when grabbing files from there. In some cases, new builds can break things.  Generally, it's best only to grab a specific build that we (Alex or myself) recommend for you, as it's usually for a specific issue.

That said, the 2.2.0.634 build is fairly safe.

Any updates to Windows 10 compatibility?

Just asking.  I had been waiting to switch from Flexraid (which is also not working well with W10).  I guess I'll give it a shot and see how it does.

Thanks!

Officially, we're still working on it.

Unofficially, we have a LOT of people on it already, myself included, and there seems to be no issues. 

I thought everything was ok, but just found my first bug.  

There is a mystery folder named "5cc6ba767698f5504f4a776ed0" at the root of my pool, and when I try to access it I get "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"

I know drivepool isn't officially supported on win10 yet but any suggestions?  Should I try clicking Continue or try something else first?   I don't seem to be missing anything, so no emergency just curious mostly.  I don't recall seeing it pre-upgrade, so not sure it's related to Win10 or not.

nMmgSBf.jpg

In case this is the right forum topic to comment on for possible Windows 10 bugs (not to troubleshoot them but simply to note them), I have encountered an issue where my exiting drive pool disappears after having been booted into my Windows 10 Pro desktop for around a day.  Rebooting restores the pool but then it takes several hours to be fully synchronized/duplicated again.  But each of the last three times the issue re-occurs and the pool is unavailable until I reboot again.  The drives associated with the pool are no longer visible within the app as either part of a pool nor are they listed in the non-pooled section even though the drives are still available as normal NTFS partitions for non-pool use.  Similarly, the drive letter and virtual partition for the pool also disappear once this problem occurs at which the pool is no longer accessible both inside and outside of the app until after restarting my PC.  Note that restarting the app doesn't help with this particular issue, hence rebooting to restore the pool.

I thought everything was ok, but just found my first bug.  

There is a mystery folder named "5cc6ba767698f5504f4a776ed0" at the root of my pool, and when I try to access it I get "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"

I know drivepool isn't officially supported on win10 yet but any suggestions?  Should I try clicking Continue or try something else first?   I don't seem to be missing anything, so no emergency just curious mostly.  I don't recall seeing it pre-upgrade, so not sure it's related to Win10 or not.

nMmgSBf.jpg

I hate these folders. I really, really do.

Specifically, they're used by some Windows Updates. They're placed on the disk with the most free space (shock, that's the pool!). And the permissions set on them can be problematic sometimes.

Yes, try clicking "Continue" and see if it helps. Otherwise, you may need to take ownership of the files, and change the permissions:

In Security-> Advanced, open the "Owner" tab and set the owner of the "shares" folder to "Administrators" and check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" option, and hit OK.
In Security->Advanced, Add full privileges to "Administrators", and again, "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object", and OK

If that doesn't help, and you're on 2.1.1.561, try rebooting the system.

In case this is the right forum topic to comment on for possible Windows 10 bugs (not to troubleshoot them but simply to note them), I have encountered an issue where my exiting drive pool disappears after having been booted into my Windows 10 Pro desktop for around a day.  Rebooting restores the pool but then it takes several hours to be fully synchronized/duplicated again.  But each of the last three times the issue re-occurs and the pool is unavailable until I reboot again.  The drives associated with the pool are no longer visible within the app as either part of a pool nor are they listed in the non-pooled section even though the drives are still available as normal NTFS partitions for non-pool use.  Similarly, the drive letter and virtual partition for the pool also disappear once this problem occurs at which the pool is no longer accessible both inside and outside of the app until after restarting my PC.  Note that restarting the app doesn't help with this particular issue, hence rebooting to restore the pool.

Could you get file system logs?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

At the very least, the text logs may help indicate the issue. 

Also, are you seeing anything in the Event Viewer, in the System section? (disk, ntfs, controller, or similar errors)

If so, could you upload those logs as well.