Not Balancing

bissquitt

Question

My pool doesn't seem to want to balance itself and is specifically avoiding 2 drives that have no errors at all.

6b6f1de3533232099e142beaef4d5bc6.png

5C and 5D have been like this for many months and new data always goes on the other drives. I didn't think to much into it (despite having it set to balance daily) until I started getting FTP errors that the disk was full which is clearly isnt.

272fc13a3e384a8b08a26f025308aff7.png

5C I do have set to only put duplicated files on due concerns with its integrity and prior use

5D however is a mostly brand new Red drive. I can't figure out why its avoiding it and why I would get disk full errors.

Thanks

EDIT: I know the drives are set with a rebalancing target, but they have been like that for months and never get data on them 

EDIT2: Server has been rebooted in the past week and I plan to update the version of drivepool once it finishes what its doing

5 answers to this question

Well, there are a few issues I'm seeing here.

The first, is that the pool isn't properly measured.

I'm assuming that all the content on the disks is "pooled data", and not stuff outside of the pool.

If this is the case, then please remeasure the pool ("Pool Options", underneath the Pie Chart, and select "Re-measure").

This is needed as the balancing code uses the measurement data to determine balancing information. 

If you have issues with remeasuring, then please download the latest beta build:
32-Bit: http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.625_x86_BETA.exe

64-Bit: http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.625_x64_BETA.exe

Do this immediately, don't wait on DrivePool to finish what it's doing.

If you still have issues measuring, then enable file system logging and remeasure the pool.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

That may fix the other issues (after a bit).

As for the the "out of space" error you're receiving, I'm guessing the folder your writing to is duplicated? 
If so, new files are limited by the Red or Orange arrows (these are "Real Time Placement Limiters" and do exactly what they sound like). So it's not a wrong error, per say. 

As for the 5C disk ... that's odd. There are a couple of things that could cause this, and that's mainly balancer settings. Also, if the disk is marked as damaged by StableBit Scanner, this will happen as well (and DrivePool will try to clear any pooled data off of the drive in question).

Did the above and its been about 16 hours and its still remeasuring like it constantly does, haven't accessed the data on the server during that time.

As for enabling file system logging. After installing the Beta version, the troubleshooting menu is gone from the gear icon. It was there in the previous version.

4497dcaaf3f104e3c8bd6ddabaa928ff.png

5fb56428f5230252b5b9edace4f6b894.png

The server has since "settled" I was able to download via FTP and all functions correctly but, as before, it still doesn't look like its balancing right.

Here are the results of the re-balance. As you can see 5C wasnt touched still, and 5D was over filled. I now have an almost empty 4A and most of the drives are still filled past the 90% "limit"

post-2041-0-04660600-1435111850_thumb.pngpost-2041-0-92630000-1435111850_thumb.png

Could you check the balancing settings?

Set it to balance immediately, but make sure the "not more than..." option is unchecked.

Set the ratio slider to 100%.

And see if that helps. If not enable logging and let it (or force it to) balance.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection